You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So I am trying to create images that I can use as assets, not as a layer asset but as a vector image asset. But I am unable to do this. If I in Designer export to say svg or eps I get them as embeded document, and then I cannot save it as an asset. I have tried searching for this and seen many videos, but it seems I am not sure what the correct search is for this problem.
I have tried creating all objects so they all become "curves" but that does not seem to help. And I do not want to raster it as that does not make it vector.

vector1.JPG.f5ac7bf5731dfa92296fb18e28632ac6.JPG

What is the correct way of saving this as an object/image that I can use as an asset later?

Hi, Vegard,

Use the menu "View/Studio/Assets." Select an object, either vector(s) or pixel. Use the "hamburger" menu in the asset panel, and create a new asset from the selection. No need to export.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

19 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Hi, Vegard,

Use the menu "View/Studio/Assets." Select an object, either vector(s) or pixel. Use the "hamburger" menu in the asset panel, and create a new asset from the selection. No need to export.

This I know. But by doing this i get an asset made from layers/groups. I do not want this as its messy. 

But how can I save it as an vector image? 

If you don't want and embedded object, the saved .svg should be "opened" not "placed," But an .svg retains the vector structure, such as the layer hierarchy, and groups. AFAIK, vector images always retain the mathematical descriptions of the element sizes and positions, so that they items can be scaled and transformed. So each element has to remain and individual item within the structure.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

2 hours ago, Vegard said:

doing this i get an asset made from layers/groups. I do not want this as its messy. 

But how can I save it as an vector image?

3 hours ago, Vegard said:

And I do not want to raster it as that does not make it vector.

I read your "messy" as "too many layers and single items" of one image.
I might miss your point yet but at the moment your goal to keep vectors AND to have 1 layer only (to avoid "mess") sounds not available and technically contradictory.

Imagine that every single vector item can have more than one layer by itself which defines its properties, for instance a shape and its stroke / or a shape and its transparency or color gradient / or a shape and its clipping mask, not to mention adjustments, effects and filters.

You can reduce the number of items and layers by combining objects to reduce overlapping, so-to-say doubled and redundant, parts with the five Geometry functions (toolbar) but you can't do it with all content without loss. That means reducing the "mess" necessarily also means to reduce vector properties and their flexibility. The most less "messy", because most flattened result, would be the rasterised image.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Ok. Thanks. Im new to vector. And from complex vector icons that I have Downloaded, they come as an vector image without layers. I just want to make something like that. Something that is not possible to edit after create. But then this seems impossible. 

Something is wrong here, @Vegard. If you download an icon from the web and it's really a vector image, it's also editable. If it's not, it's not a vector file. This is by design as has been previously pointed out by others in this thread. Especially when you have a complex design as you mention, I would expect it to consist of multiple layers, which are also each individually editable. I use vector assets from online platforms, too, from time to time, and I haven't seen a single vector file where this was not the case. Do you have an example file that you could post here so we can have a look at what's going on?