You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta update failed

This morning is was on a freshly booted machine with only my mail program running. This time however all 3 updates failed and wiped out my current beta installs

Note: I formatted and reinstalled Windows on 8/9

Windows specifications
Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    1903
Installed on    8/9/2019
OS build    18362.267

Grunwald Updaite fails.rar

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• Staff

Hi Rick,

You said you've done a clean install of Windows 9th August, would you be able to list all of the applications (trying to be as detailed as possible) that you've installed on that fresh machine including any and all 'system maintainance' pieces of software?

I also noticed that in another thread you say you don't have any antivirus except Windows Defender and 'Super Antivirus' - do you have a link to this super antivirus software?

7 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Rick,

You said you've done a clean install of Windows 9th August, would you be able to list all of the applications (trying to be as detailed as possible) that you've installed on that fresh machine including any and all 'system maintainance' pieces of software?

I also noticed that in another thread you say you don't have any antivirus except Windows Defender and 'Super Antivirus' - do you have a link to this super antivirus software?

Now it is super antiSPYware .

https://www.superantispyware.com/professional-edition.html

Programs attached. I use Wise cleaner 360 to clean up the machine each night with no other maintenance stuff running

Here is a list of all installed programs

I have to say again, I have never had a problem downloading and installing the betas until Publisher. And only publisher until this last go when they all failed. A reboot fixes the situation but like I said, the machine had been booted, the mail program launched and they failed without anything else being opened

One thing that has never made a difference. I clean out temp files when I shut down and again when I start the machine. I have it present a link to a batch file which I can choose to run ... or not as in the case of these failures

Thanks for looking into this

progs.txt

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

6 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

And on a third thread, you mentioned it worked after a reboot?

Yes that has always been the case.. It wipes out publisher and after a reboot it does a fresh install. However photo failed this time and when I finally got in my created shortcuts were still working so I have no idea what was up with that

Thanks

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff

Hi Rick,

Looking through the list of software the things that are immediately throwing red flags to me are the following:

Revo Uninstaller
Super AntiSpyware
Wise Cleaner 360
Registry First Aid

The issue you are getting is that the uninstaller cannot delete the C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\ folder and it is very likely that one of these pieces of software has put a lock on that folder. My guess is that Revo Uninstaller is interfering and doing this, as we completely uninstall and reinstall with each build. It would be worth disabling this next time you update, along with any other pieces of software (such as the above) that are running.

7 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Rick,

Looking through the list of software the things that are immediately throwing red flags to me are the following:

Revo Uninstaller
Super AntiSpyware
Wise Cleaner 360
Registry First Aid

The issue you are getting is that the uninstaller cannot delete the C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\ folder and it is very likely that one of these pieces of software has put a lock on that folder. My guess is that Revo Uninstaller is interfering and doing this, as we completely uninstall and reinstall with each build. It would be worth disabling this next time you update, along with any other pieces of software (such as the above) that are running.

Revo is not running unless I invoke it to monitor an install. I did that with the original beta installs but not any new betas after that

The others are running but I have turned off all the pain in the butt monitoring that is supposed to keep me safe from myself but only serves to irritate. All but Revo exist in the tray 

I can turn them off next time but Installs have always gone in flawlessly except for publisher and this time the other betas too

That being said, tell me what I can do to help you the most. I can shut all that stuff off and try reinstalling earlier betas followed by the current betas. Let me know pleas

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff
On 8/16/2019 at 5:08 PM, Rick G said:

That being said, tell me what I can do to help you the most. I can shut all that stuff off and try reinstalling earlier betas followed by the current betas. Let me know pleas(e)

Thanks.

Firstly prove you are still affected (showing it that this does not only happen once per install). Then once you know conditions have not changed, prove these apps are at fault, meaning it does not happen when none of these apps are running. Then turn them back on (one at a time) to find out which one is causing this. It's going to be tedious so don't start if you would rather not.

So explicitly... 

With Nothing turned off at all, so your normal processes all running

1. Uninstall Publisher beta (with all your other apps turned on)
  2. Install the/any previous 1.7.2 beta (1.7.2.442 or any earlier beta) with them still turned on.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. Install the latest beta 1.7.2. (1.7.2.458.exe) with them all still turned on.
  5. Report if it all went smoothly

If it goes smoothly then this apparently is not repeatable and stop testing. !!

However, If it DOES NOT go smoothly and the setup fails....

1. Turn all your other apps listed above off or suspend them temporarily.
  2. If installed,  Uninstall any Publisher beta (with all your other apps turned off)
  3. Install the/any previous 1.7.2 beta (1.7.2.442 or any earlier beta) with them turned off.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Install the latest beta 1.7.2. (1.7.2.458.exe) with them turned off.
  6. Report if it all went smoothly

If it DOES go smoothly....

1. Uninstall Publisher beta (with all your other apps still turned off)
  2. Turn on whichever one of the applications you want.
  3. Install the/any previous 1.7.2 beta (1.7.2.442 or any earlier beta) with that app still turned on.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Install the latest beta 1.7.2. (1.7.2.458.exe) with that app still on.

If it DOES go smoothly....

1. Uninstall Publisher beta (without changing which applications are on)
  2. Turn on whichever one of the applications you want to check NEXT.
  3. Install the/any previous 1.7.2 beta (1.7.2.442 or any earlier beta) with those apps still turned on.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Install the latest beta 1.7.2. (1.7.2.458.exe) with those 2 apps still on.

Keep going round this loop until you find which application stops the uninstall of the previous beta and install of the latest beta from going well.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

36 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Thanks.

Firstly prove you are still affected (showing it that this does not only happen once per install). Then once you know conditions have not changed, prove these apps are at fault, meaning it does not happen when none of these apps are running. Then turn them back on (one at a time) to find out which one is causing this. It's going to be tedious so don't start if you would rather not.

So explicitly... 

Keep going round this loop until you find which application stops the uninstall of the previous beta and install of the latest beta from going well.

I will do so sir ... it may take a few days to get this started but I shall post back here the completed results

Thanks for the reply

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.