You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Brush issue

So I was looking into alternatives to photoshop and this came up alot. I got a trial and played around with some tools and filters and the ease and speed at which Affinity does things really impressed me. But I noticed a flaw that's extremely easy to reproduce. So when you use a brush, and its really fine compared to canvas for hand writing or drawing and the motions are really quick, the stroke registers correctly, but the preview as it happens is gone and it stays invisible until the stroke is done. there is also a slight delay before drawing happens.

For background, I just updated my windows 10 machine to the August patch, and then shortly after that I bought a copy of Affinity photo. everything else works like a charm, but when I try hand writing or drawing with the brush tool it doesn't update in real time even though at the end of the stroke, it registered correctly. I'm also on a fairly decent game ready machine and its only Affinity Photo that does this, I tried in other programs and there were nothing similar to this.

I'll be glad to post my specs if that's gonna help. But i did notice a couple things i did when i had my issue. First off, no matter how many times i restart my computer, this persists. second, i made some changes to the brush's dynamics options. all i did was make the stroke taper to pressure sensitivity. it happens regardless if i use a stabilizer or not. Again, this isnt a huge issue for general usage of this incredible tool, but specifically for illustration and note taking its a huge deal. I'm not sure if this can be fixed by disabling or enabling something. I haven't had this program for very long but i have been playing around to see what it can do. so if its a settings thing, my program is pretty much on factory default settings sans the brush for pressure sensitivity.

I think this is a bug, but my situation is tricky seeing as I am pretty new to the tool, updated windows shortly before buying, and only have this problem in this tool and nowhere else. So If this can be fixed by enabling, or disabling something, I would really like to know.

Hello @Tanner4500,

Welcome to this forum.
It is just a guess, it could be that the " high precision tablet input" is activated., disable the option.

File
Preferences
Tools

Cheers

Brushes-1.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

• Staff

Hey Tanner4500, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

What hardware are you using to paint with? It might be worth turning off Windows Ink in addition to what Gnobelix suggested. Is there any chance you can do a quick screen recording too? 

Okay so I checked my settings before restarting my computer after disabling Windows ink. that tablet setting was off. So I restarted my computer and the issue persisted. So I tried turning that option on, and it fixed my issue, but it also distorted my strokes, but with it on i could see my strokes happening in real time with tiny brushes and quick motions, but the cursor also jerked and pixels were put in the wrong place.

So I tried hand writing "Test" with that feature on and this is what happened

0ugkEkJ.png

Edit: Update, my Tablet driver was doing this. it had a windows ink setting and i unticked that and enabled the tablet setting in affinity, and now the brush works as intended. thanks for the assistance guys!

Edited by Tanner4500

• Staff
14 hours ago, Tanner4500 said:

Edit: Update, my Tablet driver was doing this. it had a windows ink setting and i unticked that and enabled the tablet setting in affinity, and now the brush works as intended. thanks for the assistance guys!

Thanks for letting us know :) We do intend on improving Windows Ink compatibility in the future but for now this seems like the workaround.

Glad to be useful. 

Just for transparency sake: I have an XP Pen display tablet, specifically the 15.6 artist pro. The brush was acting weird without that tablet setting on even though its experimental at the moment. but with windows ink off, and no windows ink option on in my driver, it works as intended.

Hopefully this will help others who use affinity photo on windows with xp pen, and other brand tablets. I really wanted to digitally paint with affinity and now that the brush issue is fixed its just fantastic.

Hope that helps keep this program awesome for everyone. And happy to be able to give back. Thanks for this wonderful tool. haven't had it for very long yet, but its really impressive.

Edit: Just Updated to 1.7.2, and its pretty much the same as before. the tablet setting in affinity still works as intended, and I just need to make sure that Windows ink option in my driver is off and everything is fine.

Edited by Tanner4500