You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Skew distorts strokes

Hi abra100pro,

How have you created your source graphic, in particular the white area in the centre of the red background? Are you able to upload your file so we can see how you've created the elements? Creating something similar and distorting gives me this...

skew.thumb.jpg.f29f6d298a87127038814b49f0cef8cd.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

It looks like the only way to avoid the distortion is to expand all the strokes. As long as they are curves with strokes the distortion seems to happen. The different alignments probably doesn't help.

image.png.f8f9d5f4a0c976bd5d5c463d6c6b22ba.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Hi abra100pro,

You'd be much better off using solid shapes than shapes with really thick strokes. That way you can make them into compound shapes which then makes it easy should you need to edit the red background for example as you only need to make a single change rather than editing several shapes.

The distortion is improved by increasing the mitre limit on your strokes but when skewed as individual objects they don't appear to distort well. I'm unsure if the distortion you get is what you should expect or whether this would be considered a bug, I'm sure Sean will know the answer. The strokes don't appear to be being clipped when distorted but personally, I'd create the shapes as solids and use one of a variety of compound paths depending on how much flexibility you need.

apSkew Updated.afdesign

apSkew Updated Compound v1.afdesign

apSkew Updated Compound v2.afdesign

1411320307_shapesandcompounds.thumb.jpg.0a4ba3fafbf1101251baf3ddaf5a6769.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Thanks for the file. There is indeed a known issue that a Strokes with Mitre Join set to Outside are drawn incorrectly at different zoom levels, and this is further exacerbated by having a low Mitre value.

The other thing is that when using a stroke it will try to keep an even distance around the whole stroke. However as this is being skewed this will then cause the stroke to appear 'incorrectly' because it trying to draw evenly around the skewed curve. Therefore Hangman's solution above is the better option to achieve what you want.