You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

export function not working properly(?)

srg

hello, I have a few large AP phole . I cannot export them in OPSD because too big and the file saved in TIFF cannot be opened by any application I have, not even AP which created them.

I need to be able to export them in TIFF or PSD, any solution and why is that?

• Staff

Managed to reproduce the issue with the file. I'll do some poking and ask the dev team to take a look as well. Thanks srg. 

Oh and regarding the TIFF, I believe the max size of a TIFF is 4GB so this 4.3GB TIFF is past that—I'm surprised it actually exported to be honest.

7 hours ago, srg said:

I was able to upload the Aphoto file. Not sure the TIFF uploaded. In any case with my mac when I export the  .aphoto to TIFF I get a monstrously big file (>4GB) that I cannot open. 

Hi @srg just a friendly sidenote - when you're posting this screenshot on the open internets, be aware that there are people from the hackintosh community are searching the web for such serial numbers as in your screenshot - you should always censor that one, since they need real working serial numbers to make their hackintoshes work.

• Staff

I've just noticed that the afphoto file is almost 800 MP! and the image is 2 meters x 1.5 meters.

Also, I think there's a max size of 2GB for PSD files and the reason you can't export it is because the PSD is going to be bigger than 2GB—even though we aren't actually calculating a size. Is there a reason you need it this big? I think if you're printing it at this size, you don't need to do it at 400 DPI.

• Staff
6 minutes ago, CLC said:

Hi @srg just a friendly sidenote - when you're posting this screenshot on the open internets, be aware that there are people from the hackintosh community are searching the web for such serial numbers as in your screenshot - you should always censor that one, since they need real working serial numbers to make their hackintoshes work.

I've removed it as it wasn't relevant to this issue anyway :)

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

I've just noticed that the afphoto file is almost 800 MP! and the image is 2 meters x 1.5 meters.

Also, I think there's a max size of 2GB for PSD files and the reason you can't export it is because the PSD is going to be bigger than 2GB—even though we aren't actually calculating a size. Is there a reason you need it this big? I think if you're printing it at this size, you don't need to do it at 400 DPI.

Hi and thank you for the heads-up about the serial number.

As far as the size of the file that was not my intension but for reasons I cannot understand I could not control the resize function. I posted about this problem before but I guess it was not noticed.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

I think if you're printing it at this size, you don't need to do it at 400 DPI.

Even a ‘coffee-table’ book doesn’t usually need more than 300 DPI. If you drop the resolution right down to 100 DPI, an image which is 2 metres by 1.5 metres becomes ‘retina’ (i.e. you can’t distinguish the individual pixels) at less than a metre away, so you can safely print at 200 DPI and still have the image viewable from quite close up.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Even a ‘coffee-table’ book doesn’t usually need more than 300 DPI. If you drop the resolution right down to 100 DPI, an image which is 2 metres by 1.5 metres becomes ‘retina’ (i.e. you can’t distinguish the individual pixels) at less than a metre away, so you can safely print at 200 DPI and still have the image viewable from quite close up.

I think there is a need for some clarification. At least I do

I thought that changing the DPI  with the resample option un-checked in the resize box, also called scaling,  the size of the file would not change. 

What was happening to me, and I think that this has been corrected now, is that changing the DPI under those conditions, changed the file size too and not only; in fact the DPI embedded in the file did not transfer to the Epson print layout (the app I use to print) correctly. As I said this does not seem to happen any longer which is a good news for me. 

I cannot say why that was happening, but it was happening.

Why  the Epson printer drivers allow to print at 2400 or 1440 DPI if that is not relevant I am not sure.

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 10.19.00 AM.png

9 minutes ago, srg said:

I thought that changing the DPI  with the resample option un-checked in the resize box, also called scaling,  the size of the file would not change.

That’s how it should work, as far as I’m aware. If the file size and pixel dimensions don’t remain the same, something is going wrong.

12 minutes ago, srg said:

Why  the Epson printer drivers allow to print at 2400 or 1440 DPI if that is not relevant I am not sure.

Those are dots per inch, with multiple ink dots per pixel. What we commonly refer to as document DPI (as in ‘300 DPI’) is properly called PPI, or pixels per inch.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

That’s how it should work, as far as I’m aware. If the file size and pixel dimensions don’t remain the same, something is going wrong.

Those are dots per inch, with multiple ink dots per pixel. What we commonly refer to as document DPI (as in ‘300 DPI’) is properly called PPI, or pixels per inch.

Besides the confusion, I believe that there is a problem in AP when scaling: when I scale at a different DPI a file, the size of the image changes like those were the pixels and not the dots of the printer.  I believe it should not.