You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cursor changes to Mask while editing

jrkay

I put these posts on the Requests forum and Walt said I should put it on the Bugs one, here are the three entries:

1. Are we soon going to get an assistant manager in Publisher as there is in Photo? It seems to keep on popping up as a cursor while I am dealing with text. John

Walt then posted:There is an Assistant Manager if you're in the Designer or Photo Persona of Publisher, but none for the Publisher Persona.

2. In that case the cursor takes that shape, (a small empty circle) when it is seeking to initiate a mask layer. In earlier forms of Publisher Beta a dialogue opened asking if I wanted to use the Assistant, nowadays it doesn't seem to do that. It is tricky to produce a screenshot, as I move the cursor to do this it may change back to a text cursor. If it happens again I will use a camera to snap it and post it. Although it does not happen as frequently as it did, it is still very irritating when it does and I feel it should not happen at all, especially when I do not ask for a mask layer.

3. It took a long time but this is the process:
I am highlighting areas of text and removing them using CTRL X it to paste them into another document.I do this several times. After some ten or more times the screen full of text blanks out. I get the cursor shown below.
I had it the circle cursor showing at one point on top of the text, as soon as it was moved it showed a dialogue asking if I wanted to open up a mask layer, but I was too slow to use a camera to capture it.
John

Post 1.JPG

Cursor on text 2.jpg

What is left behind.png

The round cursor is the Erase Brush Tool

You are somehow invoking the Erase Brush Tool in Publisher and once you click on your text the Assistant will pop up with a message along the lines...

"The Assistant added a new mask layer..........................................................................you are now erasing from that new layer"

The question is how are you invoking the Erase Brush Tool?

If you are working in the Photo Persona whilst in Publisher then the letter "E" will invoke the Erase Brush Tool

If you are using a Pen & Tablet, one of the buttons or the blunt end of the pen may be set to Erase

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.