You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: Picture Frame With Picture Showing X across Picture

Why is the picture frame still showing a big X across the picture? Is it a bug or have I done something wrong?

I placed the picture and then dropped the picture into a picture frame because for whatever reason the option to 'Convert to Picture Frame' didn't show up on right click (why is that?)

Thanks for your help!

Screenshot 2019-08-14 at 14.42.40.png

I can't share the original file as it's a confidential company document. However, I copy / pasted the offending picture frame into a new document and it's still weird, so hopefully that should show your end?

Also, in the frame properties even though it's set to 'None (Don't scale image)' it will still scale/distort the image when you adjust the frame.

Let me know if the image isn't embedded in the file, I'm not sure how to check.

Also worth noting that on the Publisher Beta, right clicking on the image does show the option to Convert to Picture Frame (but it's greyed out), but the frame/picture still doesn't work as it should.

dodgy frame.afpub

Helle @SamMN,

The image is not embedded, but linked.
The big X is displayed or not displayed, if select or deselect the preview mode.
Maybe it helps with the other problems when the image is rasterized, but I'm not, sure, because I do not have these problems

Cheers

XX.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

OK, so one way of causing the issue is if you right click on the image and Rasterise the image when it's in the frame.

8 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

Helle @SamMN,

The image is not embedded, but linked.
The big X is displayed or not displayed, if select or deselect the preview mode.
Maybe it helps with the other problems when the image is rasterized, but I'm not, sure, because I do not have these problems

Cheers

XX.png

Sorry, when I mentioned about embedded, I meant as in 'if you download the file I'm uploading, will it include the image or are you just going to get an empty picture box?' (because it's not very helpful of me if you don't get the image in the file as you won't be able to directly see the issue). I believe by default Publisher links to the file rather than embedding it into the document?

Typically an X will not show on a picture frame with an image in it regardless of whether or not Preview Mode is on. With the bugged frame, the X is on for both Preview and Non-Preview mode.

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you're getting at :-)

It looks like you've got a picture frame on top of the picture and grouped them. If you un-group the two you'll have your picture on the layer below the picture frame. In other words, there isn't a cross on your picture, it's just a blank picture frame on the layer above the photo.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

8 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

It looks like you've got a picture frame on top of the picture and grouped them. If you un-group the two you'll have your picture on the layer below the picture frame. In other words, there isn't a cross on your picture, it's just a blank picture frame on the layer above the photo.

See screenshot. Unless I've misunderstood? But it doesn't look like Publisher thinks it's a group.

Screenshot 2019-08-14 at 17.34.42.png

here a little clip, as the file in Publisher is show to me.

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

16 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Sorry - my bad, I meant clipped not grouped!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Is this the same issue that in this reply  @Dan C says is a bug?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Is this the same issue that in this reply  @Dan C says is a bug?

The issue I was referring to only affects printing/export, so this issue is unrelated.

@SamMN I've downloaded and opened your file and it appears your issue is due to your image being incorrectly clipped to the Picture Frame object - it's very subtle, but with Picture Frame objects you need to drop the image over the Name of the object layer, rather than clipping it to the frame as you would with any other object. Currently your image is clipped to the bounding box of the Picture Frame, but your Frame itself is technically 'empty' - which is why you can see the X across the frame still. Please see my short screen recording below, showing how to correct fill your picture frame with an image. (I've used a different example image as your resource is linked and therefore missing for me.)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 1 year later...

This happens to me when Publisher somehow loses the link to the image in a picture frame. The publisher or source file hasn't moved. When I use the resource manager to replace the image it has the black X through it. I have to create a new picture frame and relink the file to get rid of the X and then delete the old link/image.

• 3 weeks later...

I just arrived here, because I have exactly the same issue. I just finished polishing the photos for a 60 pages magazine (and saved all of them in a new file and format and location, then reconnected to the frame via ressource manager). And now I'm finding out, that I can't do any changes to the picture frame without affecting the picture itself. Wow. That's serious.

@kanihoncho a quicker way to repair this: in the layers panel, just drag the file out of the frame, then back into it. that seems to fix it for me.

Edited by beneberlin