You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Place Randomly Changes to TXT Instead of All

I've had a project where I've had to use Place to place a lot of images (basically setting up a deck of cards in Publisher to go to print). Every once in a while, after using the menu to click on Place, the area where you select document type gets set to TXT instead of ALL. I never change this, so the software is doing it on its own. It does not happen every time, but it does happen frequently - maybe once every four or five times accessing Place. 

BTW - This happens in both Publisher and Designer. I've not tested this in Photo.

If you have the Frame Text tool selected, or a Text Frame selected, the Place dialog will automatically show you text files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
10 minutes ago, SilverSurfer1221 said:

Any word on this? 

Unfortunately I've not been able to reproduce this behaviour, as I've said before it only gives me Text files when I have a text frame selected. Would you be able to record a video that demonstrates this behaviour you are getting please along with the file you're trying to place the images in? Does it happen on a new document?

I was not able to record a video, but I was experiencing this quite a bit with my last project. I had to make corrections to the deck of cards and replace them in the deck I had put together in Publisher. In each case I was bringing in a PSD file saved from Photoshop. I was never creating or placing any text whatsoever. The PSD file had layers and, yes, some of the layers were text layers. But in every case, the PSD file was a complete card with text and images making the entire design. When I used Place or Replace (to replace a previously placed image), many times when I went to Place or Replace, it would default to TXT instead of the last option, which shows any type of supported file. 

I don't know if this helps. I hope so, though, as I was getting this a lot this last time around. Sometimes Place or Replace was defaulting to TXT several times in a row.

Ups, misread, wrong forum. 

Happens also with Publisher. I can confirm it happens in .471 from time to time. This seems to be never been fixed since the betas.

Edited by Joachim_L
Wrong forum used

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Thanks for getting back to us SilverSurver1221 - that was indeed very helpful. It appears it is happening when you have an Embedded Document selected which is what you'll get when placing a PSD or PDF.

I'll get this passed on to development. Thanks for your patience!

• 3 weeks later...