You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I export this selection in AD? I want the entire black band with the text. I would think the "Export Selection setting in the export dialog box would be the solution, but it is not. I only get the text exported, and that is with or without background set in the area dropdown.

385280209_ScreenShot2019-08-14at5_56_05AM.thumb.png.2514f4305ad7a8d60c5935e191fb8919.png

This is what AD exports:

1549073900_ThenDoThisImage.png.cf860c08b9e49dbbc4a75b936651b8de.png

Works for me under MacOS, either when both rect and text are selected, or when they are grouped and the group is selected. With or without the background opt setting gives the same here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

18 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

I would think the "Export Selection setting in the export dialog box would be the solution

I would think so too, but it’s clear from the stated dimensions of 349 px by 39 px that it isn’t going to be! The width of the text frame is more than twenty times its height.

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Works for me under MacOS, either when both rect and text are selected, or when they are grouped and the group is selected. With or without the background opt setting gives the same here.

5 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

How have you created that? I tried to do the same and got the entire strip. It may be worth making sure the text layer is nested in the rectangle layer first in the layers palette?

You can tell from the resizing handle at bottom right that the OP is using a text frame with a coloured background, not a text frame on top of a separate rectangle.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You can tell from the resizing handle at bottom right that the OP is using a text frame with a coloured background, not a text frame on top of a separate rectangle. 

Ok, didn't spot that. Yes, it seems to be an issue with rectangles that have been changed to a text shape. I'm now getting the same issue.

Personally, I'd recommend using a separate background shape, it's a lot more convenient, and makes editing a lot easier. Keep any text shapes transparent.
Once you've converted a shape to a frame it makes it hard (if at all possible?) to change the background color again, as the text then picks up the fill colour rather than the shape.

I've just noticed if you make a text frame, add some text, then select the fill tool (the one you'd use for gradients from the tool palette) the text frame is shown to have shrunk around the text, which would explain the way it exports. It's obviously either an oversight, or it hasn't really been designed to be holding the colour in that way.

• Staff

Hi Mr.K,

Thanks for uploading the file.  

I see you created that text frame by converting a Rectangle to a Text Frame.  We had a issue logged where the bounding boxes where being lost on export and cutting bits off.  This was marked as fixed in the next beta, which we are still waiting for on Mac.

The behaviour has been changed, so if you try this with a filled shape, when you click in with the Text Tool, the fill is removed from the shape but when you export, you should get all of the selection.  Filled text frames are more of a Publisher thing and you have more options for doing so.

For now, if you recreate what you've done but use a Rectangle as the backing shape and type some text out separately and move that over the top, you'll get the export you want :)