You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. New on AD. I opened a few times, but still trying to find my way (too long on AI). 

I exported a 2D drawing from Rhino as a PDF (since AI is not supported). I would like to assign different thicknesses to some of the lines of my drawing. 

The drawing lines are not joined in Rhino. When I open the PDF in AD the sketch looks to be all merged (using black arrow). Using the white arrow I just have too many nodes in every line to select them one by one, not even sure if this is the way. 

I would like to ask for help in this matter.

Kind regards , 

Look into the AD layers panel and how the imported sketch is represented there. Select the lines layers of interest there and alter their strokes etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Then the Rhino software probably exports all the vectors as one connected path. You can also try SVG as an exchange format, in order to see if it's the same then and as far as Rhino supports that format for exporting.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

22 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Then the Rhino software probably exports all the vectors as one connected path. You can also try SVG as an exchange format, in order to see if it's the same then and as far as Rhino supports that format for exporting.

I am giving a try to Rhino 6, apparently works much better in terms of wrapping the lines into PDF. Now AD do not struggle anymore.

Thanks

• 8 months later...

Hi Bruno,

I have only just started messing around with Affinity Designer, but I am very much planning on bouncing b/w Rhino and designer. I haven't had that problem with PDF, but what I can say is that you may want to either join your curves, or better yet do a curveboolean in Rhino before you save to PDF. That way you should have closed curves that are not just a bunch of segments.

Has anyone found a good workflow from Rhino to Affinity Designer?

I personally import as pdf, but unfortunately with that process I lose the layers I had in Rhino...

It is a lot of work exporting every layer separately. Does anyone have a better idea?