You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all, 

I am having a problem with the artistic text tool. When I select it, and drag out an area for my font, Affinity Designer stretches the font. It is the right height, but longer than it should be.

I have tried clearing the 'Text' > 'Text Styles' > 'Detach and delete all styles', and this seems to work only if I start a new document. But the document I am working on, with a lot of font, and with a lot more to go, still has the problem. So every time I try to create a new artistic font for a heading it is stretched. 

I have attached an image of the problem.

I am using a mac. And have the latest version of affinity running. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Daniel

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 10.21.23 PM.png

Which font is it (Futura Book?)

Are you sure you are not using a variant of the same font? 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 hours ago, Daniel Far said:

I am having a problem with the artistic text tool. When I select it, and drag out an area for my font, Affinity Designer stretches the font.

If you mean dragging out the bounding box around existing Artistic text, that is how it is designed to work. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks firstdefence, the font is Glacial Indifference, and as far as I can tell there are no variants for this font - it's only regular, italic and bold.

R C-R, thanks for pointing out what could be blatantly obvious - always good to check. In this case it occurs when dragging from the lower right corner, which unless I'm wrong should just change the font size, not the shape.  

In addition, I should have made it clear that the blue font in the original image is from the frame text tool. 

Morning Daniel, I installed Glacial Indifference and used the artistic text tool, these are the steps I took.

1. Selected Artistic Text tool
  2. Dragged out a rough point size and used the font size input to make it 120pt
  3. Typed AA
  4. Duplicated the Text Layer
  5. Coloured the top layer text red the other blue and dropped the opacity of the top one to 50% so I could overlay it in step 8
  6. I scaled the bottom one by dragging the bottom right handle to 160pt
  7. I scaled the top one by typing 160 in the text size input box
  8. I overlayed the top AA over the bottom AA and they were both the same size, no stretching.

8O74Z.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

47 minutes ago, Daniel Far said:

In this case it occurs when dragging from the lower right corner, which unless I'm wrong should just change the font size, not the shape.  

When I drag from any corner handle, the font size changes, & no stretching occurs.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi firstdefense, R C-R and Dazzler.

Thanks a lot for your responses. 

I have figured out a work around. 

It wasn't to do with dragging the box after the font was already on the page, rather it happened as soon as I clicked on the Artistic text tool and dragged out a font using nothing but the left mouse button.

For the workaround - Using the idea from firstdefense of overlaying two fonts, I ...

1. Used the Frame type tool to set a template for the correct font size
  2. Then using the Artistic text tool I created a font of the same size - first by dragging it onto the page, then typing in the correct size font, then using the bounding frame to reduce the font width to exactly the same width as the Frame type tool font
  3. Then I saved that Artistic text tool font as a character style - Text > Text Styles > Create Character Style

Now when I drag out a font using the Artistic text tool it comes out correctly. 

As for how this may have started - At the very start of this large document I did set up some text styles. It is possible one I saved was skewed. I did delete them all, but maybe some setting was hanging around. 

So if this happens again at least I know a work around. And I hope it helps someone else. 

Again, thanks for your help. 

Daniel