You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text terminology & control/set

How to reduce the excessive space between normal (not Art) text and set a preference so this doesn't need to be done each project? I found it once, but it's terminology seems different and harder to understand for simpletons like me!

I thank anyone answering.

Are you talking about the vertical gap between lines of Frame text? That is set from Text > Show Paragraph > After Paragraph. If you set it to zero, that should be used for new frame text in the document, and if you use Edit > Defaults > Save then it will become the default for new documents, too.

We set it to 12pts because paragraphs normally have vertical gaps between them, to show where one paragraph stops  and the next starts. For example, in this forum post I am getting that effect by adding an extra blank line between the paragraphs. Using space After Paragraph adds the space automatically and avoids having to type extra Returns, and also allows you to adjust it to be something other than a whole line.. When we have text styles, it will be even more flexible, because you'll be able to adjust the space globally with the style sheet, and be able to set bigger gaps after headings etc.

We leave the default at 0pt for Art text because it doesn't wrap, so Returns are frequently used to get line breaks. From a typographic point of view that's less than ideal, but Art text tends to be for single lines anyway.