You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IrfanView is a great utility, but I think your best bet at present is to use XnView MP to view your Affinity files.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Well, you know how it is with old dogs and new tricks... ;-)

It took me aloong time to gather all the tools I work regularily with (especially under windows, as it is way more unconfortable as Linux) and actually I never liked XnView much.

So I'll have a look at XnView, but still, irfanview... well ;-)

I have to admit that IrfanView has long been my ‘go to’ utility for image viewing (and for thumbnail generation and simple edits) on my Windows system. Maybe Irfan could make the program Affinity-friendly if we ask him nicely.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

I have to admit that IrfanView has long been my ‘go to’ utility for image viewing (and for thumbnail generation and simple edits) on my Windows system. Maybe Irfan could make the program Affinity-friendly if we ask him nicely.

Serif provides a DLL that Irfanview could use to extract the thumbnail from an Affinity-format file. That would help with such an implementation, as there's no need to figure out the file format. But it would only allow browsing the thumbnail, not any of the editing functions of Irfanview.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 hours ago, PotatoCarl said:

BTW: XnMedia does not open the afphoto files either.

What is XnMedia?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 8/14/2019 at 12:17 AM, walt.farrell said:

Serif provides a DLL that Irfanview could use to extract the thumbnail from an Affinity-format file. That would help with such an implementation, as there's no need to figure out the file format. But it would only allow browsing the thumbnail, not any of the editing functions of Irfanview.

Basically a useable approach and easy to do for IrfanView, but if the DLL isn‘t public and freely available independently from the products as a redistributable one, it‘s not useful. Since you shouldn‘t need to have the products installed in order to just get a file contents (Image) preview.

Related to IrfanView it‘s a neat tool and my favorite Image viewer on Win Systems.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, PotatoCarl said:

@R-C-R sorry, it was late and I was tired. XnViewMP I mean.

Then I am not sure what you meant about it not opening afphoto files. XnViewMP can show .afphoto & .afdesign files (but for some reason not .afpub ones) if you enable its General Preference "Show all graphic formats."

Also, it's "Open with" option can be configured to open files with any app, including Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, & Affinity Publisher.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

XnViewMP can show .afphoto & .afdesign files (but for some reason not .afpub ones)

If you change the file extension to .afphoto, the .afpub files are displayed.  Maybe XnViewMP can be configured to handle specific extensions?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

3 minutes ago, IanSG said:

Maybe XnViewMP can be configured to handle specific extensions?

Maybe, but if so I have never figured out where to do that.

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Maybe, but if so I have never figured out where to do that.

Nor me!  Looking at the thumbnails db and the number of included files, it looks like the .afpub files are being identified as images, but the thumbnails aren't being displayed for some reason.

Just now, PotatoCarl said:

Do you have to configure it somewhere so that it shows afphoto files?

Yes you do. I use the Mac version so it may be different on Windows but for me it is in General Preferences > General tab:

1054860049_XnViewMPgenprefs.jpg.5fd98685a23147d154c3a2f9ab39d956.jpg

Affinity Photo 

56 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I use the Mac version so it may be different on Windows

There's another option that needs to be set - Tools / Settings / Thumbnails / Use Embedded Thumbnails.  Also, although it's set by default, make sure AP has Edit / Preferences / General / Save thumbnails with images set.

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Interestingly enough, Affinity file formats are not listed as recognized by XnViewMP: https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/#formats

I think it's actually more a quick preliminary support at all so far, at least I have that impression from this conversation ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

I think it's actually more a quick preliminary support at all so far, at least I have that impression from this conversation ...

Interesting that one of the earlier 2016 replies from the author of the app said, "this format contains a PNG, so i'm able to extract the preview." I am not quite sure what to make of that since AFAIK, there is no PNG format image as such stored in the native Affinity file format. 

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Interesting that one of the earlier 2016 replies from the author of the app said, "this format contains a PNG, so i'm able to extract the preview." I am not quite sure what to make of that since AFAIK, there is no PNG format image as such stored in the native Affinity file format. 

Don't know what the orig poster there in that older forum thread offered as an APhoto example file then, maybe something with an loaded or embedded PNG or the like, who knows. That thread besides also names and references a Win Jpegsnoop prog (never heard before or tried that), so I don't know if they may possibly have used that to look inside the aphoto file. However the XNViewMP app itself lists that forum thread there in it's news file as some information related to Affinity files.