You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

* Black and White Color Profile for Commercial Print * (Question)

Greetings,

I am hoping some of the publishing wizards out there can help me with a small problem on Color Profiles / Exporting for Print...

I completed the layout and design for a 300 page book, for which the interior is Black and White. The book will be sent to several different commercial printers, and the requirements of the Black color profile are different for each printer. 

Some printers require CMYK and others have different requirements.

My question is...

The entire interior, consisting of body text, shapes, vectors, etc.) is black and white, and I need everything the same Black color profile. Currently, most of the body text is at CMYK 82-74-62-93, but I'm noticing that it is not a very rich black. 

Do I have to manually go into each text box / vector / graphic / page by page, and make sure each is on the correct Swatch? Or is there a way to make the entire document the same Black color - as needed?

I noticed if I go page by page, highlight all of my layers, and click to a Black Swatch i've created (for instance CMYK 60-40-40-100) it will create a fill for some of my vectors, where there shouldn't be, and then I have to manually go into that graphic and turn the fill off. Additionally, sometimes doing that also creates a thicker stroke on the text, where there shouldn't be, instead of just turning that text to the Black CMYK color.

FYI - I'm new to designing for Print, but not new to design :)  Thank you for your help!

Edited by MTON1826

1 hour ago, MTON1826 said:

Currently, most of the body text is at CMYK 82-74-62-93, but I'm noticing that it is not a very rich black.  

It is a sum of 311%. Compared with commonly used and/or recommended values and a possible max of 400% I'd rather say 311% is quite rich. It might depend on your understanding of rich.

a Black Swatch i've created (for instance CMYK 60-40-40-100)

It is a sum of 240%. It makes me wonder why you create that swatch if you feel 311% as too poor.

Do I have to manually go into each text box / vector / graphic / page by page, and make sure each is on the correct Swatch? Or is there a way to make the entire document the same Black color - as needed?

For all objects you can use global color swatches to change their color with 1 click.
For text you alternatively can use the "Find and Replace" panel and use the "Format" option to change text color.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1