EddCh

AP freezing when saving a document

So, yesterday AP 1.7.1 (which had generally been working very well until nowl) on my Mac Pro 6,1 — 32GB/256GB, 6 core, MacOS 10.3.6 — started to occasionally freeze when I save a docoument. It gets as far as displaying the 'Save' progress bar window but nothing ever happens and no menus or functions are accessible. The only remaining option available is to Force Quit. Whilst it does not happen every time, or even most times, it has been happening with enough frequency to be annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or how do I resolve this?

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @EddCh,

Did you only notice this on one specific document? Or was it more of a general issue?

Thanks,
Gabe. 

Thanks for replying.

It's with different documents at different times and with no warning. Once I've done a Force Quit and opened the recovery document, it will save without any issue. Open the same document again and it usually saves without any issue. I could save the same document multiple times without any problem and then it could suddenly occur. When the problem surfaces again with another document, I would have to go through pretty much the exact same process.

1 minute ago, GabrielM said:

Where are these documents stored?

On an external drive.

I am currently testing with some documents that are stored on the Mac Pro’s internal SSD. 

I will also, in due course, test the files on the external drive with my MacBook Pro (also running v1.7.1 of the Affinity apps/suite).

That's what I was just about to say. Sometimes, external HDDs go into sleep if there's no activity on them. When you then make a change, they should be starting back up. I'm wondering if that's what's going on here. 

12 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

That's what I was just about to say. Sometimes, external HDDs go into sleep if there's no activity on them. When you then make a change, they should be starting back up. I'm wondering if that's what's going on here. 

No, in this instance, the external drive is set to NOT go into sleep mode.

2 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Unfortunately, working off the internal SSD has made no difference as it has happened again.

However, whilst in this problematic state, menus are accesible but have no effect and athough I can initiate repeated Save As commands they do not save anything to anywhere. The attached screenshot shows one Save As command doing nothing in the background, whilst a second such command is in the foreground which, if actioned, will dismiss the dialogue box and then resume with the progress bar and continue to do nothing.

After more than 30 minutes in that state, I gave up and Force Quit the application. Upon restart and opening the recovery files, they were successfully saved within just a few seconds.

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 18.10.51.jpg

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, this is now happening on my MacBook Pro (running 10.13.6) as well as the Mac Pro. All the same symptoms as outlined in the above posts.

Hmm... I'm not entirely sure what might be to be fair. Can you please try this and see if it makes any difference? 

Close Photo . Open Finder. Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/ and rename user to user.backup. Reopen Photo.