You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP freezing when saving a document

EddCh

So, yesterday AP 1.7.1 (which had generally been working very well until nowl) on my Mac Pro 6,1 — 32GB/256GB, 6 core, MacOS 10.3.6 — started to occasionally freeze when I save a docoument. It gets as far as displaying the 'Save' progress bar window but nothing ever happens and no menus or functions are accessible. The only remaining option available is to Force Quit. Whilst it does not happen every time, or even most times, it has been happening with enough frequency to be annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or how do I resolve this?

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @EddCh,

Did you only notice this on one specific document? Or was it more of a general issue?

Thanks,
Gabe. 

Thanks for replying.

It's with different documents at different times and with no warning. Once I've done a Force Quit and opened the recovery document, it will save without any issue. Open the same document again and it usually saves without any issue. I could save the same document multiple times without any problem and then it could suddenly occur. When the problem surfaces again with another document, I would have to go through pretty much the exact same process.

1 minute ago, GabrielM said:

Where are these documents stored?

On an external drive.

I am currently testing with some documents that are stored on the Mac Pro’s internal SSD. 

I will also, in due course, test the files on the external drive with my MacBook Pro (also running v1.7.1 of the Affinity apps/suite).

12 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

That's what I was just about to say. Sometimes, external HDDs go into sleep if there's no activity on them. When you then make a change, they should be starting back up. I'm wondering if that's what's going on here. 

No, in this instance, the external drive is set to NOT go into sleep mode.

2 hours ago, GabrielM said:

That's what I was just about to say. Sometimes, external HDDs go into sleep if there's no activity on them. When you then make a change, they should be starting back up. I'm wondering if that's what's going on here. 

Unfortunately, working off the internal SSD has made no difference as it has happened again.

However, whilst in this problematic state, menus are accesible but have no effect and athough I can initiate repeated Save As commands they do not save anything to anywhere. The attached screenshot shows one Save As command doing nothing in the background, whilst a second such command is in the foreground which, if actioned, will dismiss the dialogue box and then resume with the progress bar and continue to do nothing.

After more than 30 minutes in that state, I gave up and Force Quit the application. Upon restart and opening the recovery files, they were successfully saved within just a few seconds.

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 18.10.51.jpg

• Staff

Hmm... I'm not entirely sure what might be to be fair. Can you please try this and see if it makes any difference? 

Close Photo . Open Finder. Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/ and rename user to user.backup. Reopen Photo.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:38 AM, GabrielM said:

Hmm... I'm not entirely sure what might be to be fair. Can you please try this and see if it makes any difference? 

Close Photo . Open Finder. Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/ and rename user to user.backup. Reopen Photo.

Since downgrading from 1.7.2 back to 1.7.1 the save issue had resumed but, after carrying out the procedure you described, the problem has not re-surfaced again in two days (so far).

9 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Thanks. I was unable to replicate this even with your temp file. Let us know if it happens again 

As yet, following your procedure, it has not happened again. So, hopefully, that has fixed it.

Hello,

I just wanted to add my voice to this conversation as this issue has been happening to me as well with different files all saved in my Macbook pro drive.

Even though deleting the user folder could be a solution, I'm not a fan of that as I lose some settings when I do it..

Any chance this is being fixed?
Thanks!

On 8/28/2019 at 4:47 PM, EddCh said:

As yet, following your procedure, it has not happened again. So, hopefully, that has fixed it.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:36 PM, GabrielM said:

Thanks. I was unable to replicate this even with your temp file. Let us know if it happens again 

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that I also experienced the freezing while saving. A couple of times already. OS-X 10.14.5 with AP 1.7.2.

It is a random error. It has nothing to do with a hard disc going to sleep.

It might has something to do with the memory consuming of Affinity Photo and the long duration of saving pict's in general by Affinity Photo.

See my post of today.

Cheers.

8 hours ago, Dnn said:

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that I also experienced the freezing while saving. A couple of times already. OS-X 10.14.5 with AP 1.7.2.

It is a random error. It has nothing to do with a hard disc going to sleep.

It might has something to do with the memory consuming of Affinity Photo and the long duration of saving pict's in general by Affinity Photo.

See my post of today.

Cheers.

From reading your post, I'm not sure you are experiencing the same issue as the one I had – because I never experienced the memory/drive problems you mentioned and my problem occurred with files of ALL sizes, not just large files. The example in the screenshot I posted was only around 250MB and I've had it occur on files that were less than 100MB. In every instance, my Macs (Mac Pro 6,1 and MacBook Pro) did not experience any problems running any other application at the same time and can switch back/forth between the apps without any delay or problem.

Same problem here. Freeze on file save. Small file size. While painting over a line drawing imported from Affinity Designer. Freezes on save status bar. 2017 iMac, OS 10.13.6, 24gigs RAM, internal Mac SSD. Only way to resume is to force quit the application. Happens repeatedly. Work lost. Annoying and nerve-wracking.

17 hours ago, EddCh said:

From reading your post, I'm not sure you are experiencing the same issue as the one I had – because I never experienced the memory/drive problems you mentioned and my problem occurred with files of ALL sizes, not just large files. The example in the screenshot I posted was only around 250MB and I've had it occur on files that were less than 100MB. In every instance, my Macs (Mac Pro 6,1 and MacBook Pro) did not experience any problems running any other application at the same time and can switch back/forth between the apps without any delay or problem.

One of the errors I found out is definitely the same as you have: freezing during saving. Mostly happen's with larger files. But also with smaller ones. That's why I quoted you. It is a bug.

The memory bugs I found out with versions AP 7 in combination with larger picture files, happen' on all computers by the way. Computers with a real hard disc will be slow down more of course than cmptrs with SSD. You can see how much memory and/ or how much virtual memory (on the hard disc) Affinity uses at certain moments, by opening the activity program in OS-X >> applications >> utility programs. It is possible that the 'extensive memory using bug' can cause the freezing during saving. Affinity needs to study and examine this.

Edited by Dnn

• Staff

We would need to replicate the issue here so we can fix it. So far, we could not do it. That's why I suggested renaming (instead of CTRL+run or deleting that folder). If renaming would fix the issue, then it must be something from within the users folder causing this. We've only got one users folder from this topic and could not replicate it from that... We're still trying to find a recipe...

4 hours ago, Dnn said:

One of the errors I found out is definitely the same as you have: freezing during saving. Mostly happen's with larger files. But also with smaller ones. That's why I quoted you. It is a bug.

The memory bugs I found out with versions AP 7 in combination with larger picture files, happen' on all computers by the way. Computers with a real hard disc will be slow down more of course than cmptrs with SSD. You can see how much memory and/ or how much virtual memory (on the hard disc) Affinity uses at certain moments, by opening the activity program in OS-X >> applications >> utility programs. It is possible that the 'extensive memory using bug' can cause the freezing during saving. Affinity needs to study and examine this.

Yes, it is a bug but your other post did not mention smaller files – only large 800MB+ files.

At the same time, none of the other issues you reported were/are happening on either of my Macs that experienced the the 'freeze on save' problem. They are running perfectly fine, with no memory or drive issues. FYI: Yes, I do know how to see/check on my Mac's hardware usage (I have menu bar utilities that monitor RAM/HDD/CPU/network usage all the time).