You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP freezing when saving a document

EddCh

13 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Can you please attach a screen recording of this in action? We're trying to get to the bottom of this but we've had no luck replicating it so far. 

Unfortunately that will be EXTREMELY difficult to record because the problem seems to occur randomly and there is never any warning signs. It might not happen at all for hours (or days) and then it will suddenly occur just once.

If I did a screen recording, it will just show the Save progress bar (like in the screenshot I posted previously) and then me doing a Force Quit. 

I am having this same exact issue on 1.7.2.... saving randomly but frequent enough to give me worry every time I hit the save button. The amount of time I have to repeat work is getting exhausting and makes me fret even opening AP now. Like the previous poster, timing a video capture would be hard, and not quite helpful honestly. All I do is hit the keyboard shortcut to save and then the never-ending "save document" window at the top appears. PLEASE FIX

I was able to capture the issue with a screen recording. Right now the trend I am starting to see is that it happens more frequently perhaps when opening a file from the frequent files accessed by right-clicking the Affinity Photo icon on the doc and selecting the file from the list there. Perhaps that's a path to test by you guys to see if it can be replicated that way.

9 hours ago, GabrielM said:

We managed to replicate a very similar behaviour, and we think this issue might be related. When it hangs, does it actually write the file to the disk? Do you all have embedded documents? Where are those embedded files stored? 

No, It doesn’t write the file to disk. Once I relaunch AP, I often have to work on the recovery file to get it back to the state it was in before the freeze and then re-save (which is always successful after relaunching AP).

None of my files any other embedded files in them. However, they often do have duplicate pixel layers (usually of the original photo).

Almost everything else are adjustment layers and masks. There are a couple of Colour Fill and (live) editable text layers.

When it freezes it does not write the file to disk for me either. I do have 2 embedded logo layers that are stored on the same internal drive as the file I am working on. I recently have been getting a message pop up when opening AP that says "Linked Resource Changed" but this has just only cropped up and was not originally there when this bug started happening. But perhaps it could be related. I should note that the linked file has not been edited in over a year.

I am also finding this bug happens frequently after using the selection brush tool followed by the eraser tool. This could be just a coincidence though as it is the last process in a set of routine processes I do on select files daily.

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 8.40.54 PM.png

Edited by sfeditsfilm

I am a MAC user and recently went to the Apple Store and had my computer cleaned because I thought perhaps the computer was running slow. Secondly, I had my internet provider to send a technician to make sure that the internet is not slow. All good on those fronts. Which leads me to believe it's the software.

Issues:

• I am having issues with saving files - long delays (minutes); resulting in having to Force Quit.
  • Also, there's some jumpiness and slight hesitation when selecting an object, layer or mode of operation - when executed, it performs something that I didn't want or intended to do.
  • Moving very slow - not performing operations in real-time. (example: when using the gradient tool - color points selected - No color change.)    

On 9/17/2019 at 12:56 AM, Sidney MJ said:

I am a MAC user and recently went to the Apple Store and had my computer cleaned because I thought perhaps the computer was running slow. Secondly, I had my internet provider to send a technician to make sure that the internet is not slow. All good on those fronts. Which leads me to believe it's the software.

Issues:

• I am having issues with saving files - long delays (minutes); resulting in having to Force Quit.
  • Also, there's some jumpiness and slight hesitation when selecting an object, layer or mode of operation - when executed, it performs something that I didn't want or intended to do.
  • Moving very slow - not performing operations in real-time. (example: when using the gradient tool - color points selected - No color change.)    

I go to File > Save as...

My software keeps freezing every time I’m trying to save and it doesn’t end up saving, I have to force quit in order for it to shutdown. When I reopen it the recovery files doesn’t always recover my stuff and I’ve already lost two files I was working last night for my university project, I’m absolutely fuming. Ever since updating this new software it’s been happening this entire week and it’s soooo laggy the graphics are very poor please find a solution and fix this bug!!!!

OK. Latest update as of earlier this evening… it has frozen again – the first time for about two weeks. On this occasion, the save process was performed via the 'Save' command in the File menu. There were no embedded images in the TIFF file, with 12 layers, being saved. Was in the process of brushing in a Curves adjustment layer. By my standards, at 310MB, not an overly 'heavy' or intensive file. 

Mac Pro 6,1 (Mac OS 10.3.6), 8 files open in AP and 10 applications running but plenty of RAM still available (approx. 50% of 32GB), CPU was running at about 10%, Internal SSD and external HDD (not set to sleep) have 123GB/1.8TB free space available respectively.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 20.38.20.jpg

• Staff

Hi EddCh,
Are you saving the file to TIFF format with Save Affinity layers ticked? If so, are you using any live filter or live adjustments? Again if that's the case please hide (untick) them in the Layers panel and try to save the file file again. Does it save correctly/almost immediately?

11 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi EddCh,
Are you saving the file to TIFF format with Save Affinity layers ticked? If so, are you using any live filter or live adjustments? Again if that's the case please hide (untick) them in the Layers panel and try to save the file file again. Does it save correctly/almost immediately?

No. Saving the file out in AP format. All my layered files are always saved in AP’s native format.