You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Update existing content when applying a master page?

Hi,

I'm currently laying out a directory for my organization and am hitting a bit of a bump. I set up pages for each of our staff member's reports, all using the same master page spread with left and right facing pages and a single text box on both pages. Because some of the reports are shorter, I can sometimes combine two on a single page, deleting the unneeded page. But this then messes up the layout on every page below that deleted section because in the layout what had been right pages are on the left, and vice versa (which is a problem because the inner margin is wider than the outer margin). I can apply a master page to these pages - which fixes the layout but deletes the current content. If I unchecking "replace existing" my current content remains, but UNDER the applied master page. Is there any way to update the master page layout so the existing content is updated with the correct layout?

• Staff

Have you considered setting up multiple master pages for different report types. One for when facing pages is required, another for when one page can hold two reports. Another option would be to remove the text frames from the master pages and insert them direct on the pages, this will allow for greater control over the page layout and won't affect other pages.

That’s actually the solution I came up with. It also deals with the ghost elements that appear when I add only one page of a spread. I do hope repagination becomes a thing, but I was glad I found a solution that wasn’t too terrible. I also made the image frame and text box I’m putting on each page into assets, so I can just drag them out and go.