You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option drag duplicate stops working

This bug keeps happening. I'm working along, everything fine, dragging items and option dragging items to duplicate them, and suddenly option drag to duplicate stops working. Reopening document or restarting Designer does not fix it. This is 1.7.1. It is happening on text items and rectangles, and everything else I believe.

Hi @GabrielM

No. CMD + Drag does not work.

I just tested this again, after restart, the document in question is still broken, Option-Drag nor Cmd-Drag do not duplicate. However, if I open a NEW document, then both Option-Drag and Cmd-Drag work as normal. So, this appears to be a document-level specific bug.

David

I have attached a file where drag duplicate is not working. There is a single text box (with some irrelevant text) that does not work. Be careful to duplicate the file before messing with it because drag duplicate may start working again suddenly. In fact, I tried that. I changed the text in the box and then drag duplicate started working. Also note, previously, at a time when drag duplicate was not working - I created a rectangle and it also did not work (i.e. support drag duplicate) -- so I'm not sure this is specifically a text problem, but a more pervasive glitch causing the feature to be disabled.

DragDuplicateBug.afdesign

What do you mean I have a "selection active". Where do you find that? There is one object in the file (the text box). It is either selected or it is not. When I open the document, it is not selected. Then I select it with the selection tool. Then I try to Option-Drag to duplicate and it does not work.

Following your suggestion I used Cmd-D and I was able to Option-Drag to duplicate after that, but WHY. What was selected that needed deselecting?

This definitely looks like a bug -- i.e. Designer is holding on to some notion of a selection, even after everything is deselected from the user's perspective.

• Staff

It's not a layer selection I'm talking about, but a pixel selection. If you look closely, you will see the "marching ants" present on the edge of our canvas. Pixel selections are made in Pixel Persona. To check if you have a selection active or not, from the Pixel Persona, press "Refine" on the context toolbar. Where/If you see red overlay, that part is not selected. if you don't see any red, it means that the whole canvas is selected 

Per your suggestion, I opened the problem document and zoomed in and found the "marching ants" around the page, which are barely visible at any zoom level!

This is very confusing and unintuitive. Also, I never use Pixel Persona.

Sometimes Option-Drag stops duplicating for no apparent reason.

You have pointed out the technical reason for it not to work, but not why this is happening in the first place, which really feels like a bug to me.

The point is this: I do nothing special to cause Option-Drag to stop working, but occasionally it does stop working.

• Staff

I cannot tell how that got selected, but it could not have become selected on its own as you are unable to make pixels selections in Vector Persona. If you can provide a recipe to replicate this, we can definitely look into it. 

On 8/14/2019 at 12:48 PM, davidbjames said:

Hi @GabrielM

No. CMD + Drag does not work.

I just tested this again, after restart, the document in question is still broken, Option-Drag nor Cmd-Drag do not duplicate. However, if I open a NEW document, then both Option-Drag and Cmd-Drag work as normal. So, this appears to be a document-level specific bug.

David

Cmd+Drag works here. (Mac) It's interesting.