You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text curser is angles and very large

I have a file created from am opened PDF and when I click the text curser in some places I get what I assume is the flashing  text curser which is very large and at around 10 degrees from the horizontal.

I have drawn a line to indicate roughly where the curser is and I have attached the file in question. Is this a bug or is something else going on?

image.png.b2821365680a785d5607f2b809c4384e.png

image.png

zzz 40048.afpub

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

If you mean the cursor I've underlined in red below, that's just an italic text cursor, I think:

image.png.7c2bf5a8159f627c21ab8873a8ec0872.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt - no, its completely different. I ought to do a video but I don't know how. What happens when you open my file and put the text curser in the top line? I get a blinking line which is nearly horizontal and is extremely long.

It seems to be a font issue. I get the problem with Myriad Roman Italic and Myriad Roman Bold Italic. It was a free downloaded font. ID and Illustrator seem to be okay with this font. I haven't had this problem with other fonts. I get the same problem in Designer Beta.

5 hours ago, MickRose said:

Hi Walt - no, its completely different. I ought to do a video but I don't know how. What happens when you open my file and put the text curser in the top line? I get a blinking line which is nearly horizontal and is extremely long.

When I opened your file I saw that long line, which you had drawn, and deleted it. I then placed the cursor where I showed it, and provided the screenshot I saw.

It makes sense for it to be font-related, I suppose, and as I don't have your fonts I didn't see what you saw. Providing the font files for Serif would probably help them diagnose the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 8/14/2019 at 5:57 AM, MickRose said:

It seems to be a font issue. I get the problem with Myriad Roman Italic...It was a free downloaded font...

11 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

Thanks for the files. It looks like the font specifies an italic angle of 88 degrees. We current respect the font designer's choice as long as it is less than 90 degrees. I'll flag this to be reviewed.

It appears to me these fonts may have been poorly ripped from the PostScript versions, or even from the preceding Multiple Master versions. But I don't have any version of these fonts that old.

The oldest non-Pro versions of these fonts I have, still internally a version 1.0 version, specify an italic angle of 11 degrees and a date of 2007.

55 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

Thanks for the files. It looks like the font specifies an italic angle of 88 degrees. We current respect the font designer's choice as long as it is less than 90 degrees. I'll flag this to be reviewed.

32 minutes ago, MikeW said:

It appears to me these fonts may have been poorly ripped from the PostScript versions, or even from the preceding Multiple Master versions. But I don't have any version of these fonts that old.

The oldest non-Pro versions of these fonts I have, still internally a version 1.0 version, specify an italic angle of 11 degrees and a date of 2007.

10° or 12° degrees is reasonable. Anything more than 20° seems rather extreme.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

10° or 12° degrees is reasonable. Anything more than 20° seems rather extreme.

The ripping process, when poorly done, can result in flipped or incorrect or mangled data. For instance, the date field in the attached regular italic. It is missing/mangled and so shows up with the 1907 date. And I suppose this mangling could have happened to the italic angle. But I can (almost) guarantee that Adobe didn't screw up the date field and would therefore assume they didn't mangle the italic angle either.

I don't doubt that the fonts might be less than perfect. It's just that other software doesn't seem to have this problem so hopefully Serif will be able to tweak the font engine somehow to make these fonts useable.

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

As MikeW assumed your font seems to be a file created by "Converter: Windows Type 1 Installer V1.0d.  Font: V1.0" as the mac finder info says. You can find the same info here: https://fontsup.com/de/font/myriad-roman.html

As far I know Myriad was not only used for 15 years as Apple's corporate (not: OS) font but also included in some Adobe CS installers. This both makes it quite unlikely that it is free.

1 hour ago, MickRose said:

hopefully Serif will be able to tweak the font engine somehow to make these fonts useable.

So, how about to "tweak" this "It was a free downloaded font" file by replacing it with a Myriad Pro?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

18 hours ago, MickRose said:

I don't doubt that the fonts might be less than perfect. It's just that other software doesn't seem to have this problem so hopefully Serif will be able to tweak the font engine somehow to make these fonts useable.

InDesign doesn't bother slanting the caret when the caret is in slanted text, so isn't affected. We do slant the caret, with the intent and expectation that the caret will then match the text it is in.

2 hours ago, MickRose said:

I understand that now. But it does mean Affinity products cannot really cope with bady made fonts whereas ID etc can. I suppose its a tradeoff.

It will be fixed in 1.8. This is the first font I've come across where it's actually an issue.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue "Text caret is unusable if font sets an extreme italic angle" has been fixed in 1.8.0 [Publisher beta is currently available if you care to check].

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon