You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Really basic question - edit text in Frame

This question is so simple, but having watched the text videos I still have no idea how I edit text in a text Frame in Publisher.

I have entered some text when I created the Frame, but now want to go back to amend some of the text. Nothing I do seems to let me do that? Triple clicking selects the text, but I want to change a word and cannot get the text insertion to activate.

I guess it is blindingly obvious, but I am not spotting this?

Can anyone help me out please?

With the Frame Text tool active, a single click in the text should set the text cursor there. Or with the Move Tool active, a double-click in the text should set the text cursor there and switch to the Frame Text tool. With the cursor set, you can type new characters or delete existing ones.

With the Frame Text tool active, a double-click in the text should select a word. To replace the word, just start typing. A triple-click will select the line, and then typing will replace the line. A quadruple-click will select the paragraph, and then typing will replace it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 minutes ago, ChristopherTD said:

Ah, thanks. I had a rectangle around the whole page that was interfering with the selection. Moving it aside let me amend the text.Is there a trick to selecting items that are enclosed in other items?

I would need to see a sample file from you that shows the problem, because I have no trouble selecting the text underneath a rectangle that encloses the text frame. Sorry.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, ChristopherTD said:

Here is a sample file that exhibits this issue

Thanks. I think there are a combination of things happening:

1. The text frame came from a Master Page. This may not be relevant, but in combination with the rest of this list it may be.
  2. Your rectangle has a fill. Normally that would prevent you from even seeing the text that's under it, but you've made the fill have an opacity of 0. It is possible (I'm not sure) that having a fill with an opacity of 0 is different from having no fill, with respect to selecting objects that are under the rectangle.
  3. The "text" in your text frame is Filler Text, and you have not yet done an Expand Field operation. Therefore, that text is not real text yet, and is not editable. If you right-click on the text and choose Expand Field from the context popup, or if you click on the text and use the menu item Text > Expand > Expand Field then you will have editable text instead of Filler Text.

-- Walt
PC:

FYI - If you're having difficulty selecting one object below another try pressing Alt while clicking on it.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, ChristopherTD said:

Removing the fill from the rectangle solved the issue. Thanks for your assistance

Good to hear. Thanks for trying it, and reporting back.

-- Walt
PC: