You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setting a colour profile and keeping the correct colours

Hi

This is a novice question, so please excuse my ignorance.

I usually work in video production, but the company I work for has asked me to put together a promotional postcard for print. I have a "Brand" document that lists the correct colour values for the company logo (RGB, CMYK and #value). I know I need to use CMYK for print. My confusion comes from how to use the correct colour profile. If I import the brand guide PDF into Affinity Publisher it gets converted to the currently set colour profile. But now the colour values no longer exactly match the values I've been told to use. Of course, the same thing will happen if the printers then tell me to change my colour profile to something else. The colour values will change again.

So my confusion is when do I actually set my colour values to be correct? Do I set the colour profile first and then adjust my logo colours to match the ones stated in the brand document or do I set the correct logo colour values and then convert the document to the desired colour profile?

I'm also not sure what option to use in the document setup, "assign" or "convert" to colour profile.

Any guidance gratefully received.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Palhil,

I would set your colour profile first and choose Convert over Assign. You will also need to go to File > Export then hit the more button and make sure embed ICC profile is ticked when you export your image :)

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum,

Thanks for the help. I may not have spotted that export option. 

So just to clarify, because I'm dim :).  I should open a new document, convert it to the colour profile I want to use with the printer and then create my coloured logo using the values specified in the brand document? Yes?

4 hours ago, Callum said:

choose Convert over Assign.

By the way: I have not been able yet to make "Assign" appear to remain selected. Instead when reopening this options window again, it is always set to "Convert".

– Is this a way of me misusing this feature or is there any other issue?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff
6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

By the way: I have not been able yet to make "Assign" appear to remain selected. Instead when reopening this options window again, it is always set to "Convert".

Please could you provide a screen recording of this?

Thanks

C

• Staff
19 minutes ago, palhil said:

Hi Callum,

Thanks for the help. I may not have spotted that export option. 

So just to clarify, because I'm dim :).  I should open a new document, convert it to the colour profile I want to use with the printer and then create my coloured logo using the values specified in the brand document? Yes?

Yes that is correct :)

11 minutes ago, Callum said:
18 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Please could you provide a screen recording of this?

• Staff

The default setting for this menu is convert this shouldn't make much difference as once you have selected convert or assign and hit ok the changes have been applied. However I would recommend making a post in our feature requests section regarding this.

24 minutes ago, Callum said:

this shouldn't make much difference as once you have selected (...) assign and hit ok the changes have been applied.

How do we know? Is the UI showing a wrong or right value by always showing "Convert" as selected when this window becomes opened?

24 minutes ago, Callum said:

I would recommend making a post in our feature requests

Requesting what feature?

• Staff
12 minutes ago, thomaso said:

How do we know? Is the UI showing a wrong or right value by always showing "Convert" as selected when this window becomes opened?

Requesting what feature?

It would be right value as that is what we have set to default I assume you would know because you have picked the setting once you have clicked OK the colour profile has been assigned or converted. If you would rather it would remember your choice then that is what I recommend you request :)

9 minutes ago, Callum said:

It would be right value as that is what we have set to default I assume you would know because you have picked the setting once you have clicked OK the colour profile has been assigned or converted.

• Does it mean once I had clicked "Assign" and hit "Okay" I never can revert that choice to "Convert"?
  • In case I may switch from "Assign" back to "Convert" once the window was closed: How can I do it since "Convert" is already always selected when I open this window?
  • What if I open a document of someone else – how can I determine the true value of "Assign" vs. "Convert" in that document?

Your hint to post a feature request sounds so weird to me that I suspect I haven't understood the options "Assign" and "Convert" in fundamental aspects of their functionality. Can you guide me to a spot in the UI where I also need to remember my former setting without having a way to find it remembered in the UI though it is influencing the document continously?