You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixelated Preview - Canvas Rotation

When rotating the canvas (View - Rotate Left/Right) the artwork previews/appears pixelated and distorted on the artboard - almost like the strokes and objects get fuzzy outlines.
I'm not sure if it's a bug, but its been present since the day I started using Designer and Photo - even vector shapes get jagged edge previews when the canvas is rotated.
I've attached a preview to show what I mean (you may need to zoom in to have a better look), but I'm sure anyone who has used the canvas rotation feature is aware of this.
Is there a way to fix this? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Screenshot 2019-08-13 at 11.53.38.png

Screenshot 2019-08-13 at 11.54.13.png

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi ChristiduToit,
Go to Affinity Preferences, Performance section and check if you have Bilinear (Best Quality) set in the View Quality dropdown. Set it like so in case it's not.

@MEB I have it set to that by default and haven't changed it. I don't have a retina display, could this be part of the issue?
Other apps with canvas rotation (Photoshop, Clip Studio Paint, Sketchbook Pro, ArtStudio Pro, Medibang Paint, etc) don't display this way when rotating, only when using Designer and Photo. 
I don't have a retina display (21 inch iMac with an HD display) - could this be part of the problem perhaps?
If so, are there any settings I could change?

I remember seeing this prior to 1.7 on my iPad as well, but it seems to have been resolved since the update.

• 7 months later...

Just to revisit this with some potentially helpful info!
I've noticed that the screen will blur/pixelate when rotated, no matter which settings I have in Preferences, if I'm any less than 150% zoomed in to my canvas. 
For whatever reason, once I've zoomed in 150% or more, the pixelation (from rotating) seems to disappear, but since I do most of my work zoomed at between 50% and 100% this doesn't really help too much.

@MEB
Sure thing. 

I've attached my Performance panel screenshot.
I recently set the "Retina Rendering" to High Quality, but truthfully it hasn't changed anything, so I'll probably set it back to Automatic after sending this.
I've also attached screenshots of my iMac's specs. 
It's a slightly older model (late 2015, HD display), but it does support Metal, so I've left that box ticked in the Preferences (however, I've tried with and without Metal without any change to the pixelation, sadly).
Just to clarify, Affinity Photo runs like an absolute charm on my machine, but aside from a few small things such as this rotation issue.

I would send the afphoto file too, but that file was just done to show the issue, but the issue is present with all my files in the app, so I didn't think sending a file would be much help. 

If there's anything else I can do to help get to the bottom of this, please let me know. :) 

Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 18.52.52.png

Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 18.55.31.png

Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 18.55.38.png

Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 18.57.12.png

• 2 months later...

Up! Same issue on Win10. Laptop: gtx 1060, i7 6700HQ, 16GB ram. Just bought Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer today. Problem like on screenshots attached above by @ChristiduToit . It occurs always, settings doesn't matter. Here I am adding my screenshots (Here I am using just a simple brush). I assing rotate left/right to my intous pro touch wheel (In other X program is so convininet → shitf+space and pen). I am rotating a lot, and here my eyes are burning xD Also tried to rotate simple photo (canvas rotation) and I want to unsee it, hahaha. Does anyone knows sth about this issue ?  @MEB @walt.farrell @R C-R  ? 

PS Oooo My gooood. I love Affinity. So simple! So stable! So modern! So convininet! And soooo fast :3 It has really good optimalization. To compare with CPS and Photoshop, Affinity has the fastest brushes and while drawing, program using my CPU on more than one core, not like the others! But. It's not perfect yet. What I am missing: 1) Ability to hide panels 2) Better shortcuts managment (for exp. I can't do reset zoom "fit" and reset rotation with a one key. I can't use ctr, alt and other special keys. I can't zoom, rotate with key+pen etc. 3) Canvas rotation issue

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Kinsogu

• 3 months later...

I still see the "rotation pixelation" of vector strokes in 1.9 beta. Always did. Best quality of course selected etc. etc.

image.png.25b5389e00f4da830ac5dcc975c612c8.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Animation

rotate.gif

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 year later...

Good morning, everyone.
I started drawing and painting with Photo on Windows and noticed this display problem when I started rotating the paper to draw some details better.
I have tried using Krita and by rotating the sheet this does not happen and the lines remain clear and well depicted in the rotation.
The curious thing is that if I rotate only the layer where the stroke is, it doesn't fade.
The same thing happens in Designer.
Below are some videos and my settings, but to me it seems to be a problem with Affinity's graphics engine with the document rotation and I hope it gets fixed because it's causing me problems with the way I work.

Thank you.

AffDes-prestazioni.png