You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reversed / Back To Front Text | Artistic Text Tool

Hello at Affinity Support,

I am a relative new comer, learning to transition over from Adobe CC. I have a document that I made in Indesign and now am trying to update. Using the existing object paths from the imported document, when I use the Artistic Text Tool on the path, the Text is typing out back to front (see screenshot 1). If I reverse the Path direction it just flips the text to the other side of the path and is backwards too (see screenshot 2). I am trying to replicate my original indesign format (see screenshot 3). I have trying changing the zero winding on the layers menu to fix this, as well as dragging the green and orange beginning and end markers to opposite ends, but can not seem to be able to fix / get type to run from left to right along the path?

Not sure what's going wrong & am hoping there is a simple solution out there?

Appreciate if anyone can help me out?

Thanks Lozza

3.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 5.08.42 pm.png

2.png

• Staff

Hi Lozza,

Does the same happen if you 1st select the path and flip the object (Layer>Transform>Flip) and then add the text? 

If you could attach or upload the file for this to our Dropbox here  I'll be able to help further :) 

Hi stokerg, I did follow your above instruction (Flip Layer Horizontally) and yes it reads perfectly, however the path is flipped and consequently path is going in the opposite (wrong) direction. I have uploaded the file, so hopefully you can figure what is happening there? Thanks, Lozza 

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 10.35.36 pm.png

Hello stokerg, I am just checking back in to the forum to see if you have been able to find a way to reverse the text on the file that I uploaded for Affinity to look at?

I am going to do the obvious and just redraw an approximate path and give up using the existing illustrator produced file/path.

But will say I am disappointed to find that I am required to rebuild parts of files that should just work. Anyways I guess this is the price of transitioning to new software I guess.

I am still interested in if you can advise on how to fix this problem, as it kind of makes me reluctant to want to use any assets that were produced using Adobe products? I am finding Affinity and Adobe doesn't seem to play well together.

Yes, thanks PixelPest, it works fine using paths constructed in Affinity Designer, so I'll just avoid using paths that were generated in Adobe's illustrator CC.

It was impossible to reverse the text on that file, and change it so that it ran from Left to Right (to be legible) when using a path generated in the illustrator (CC) file.

Appreciate you feedback & help, and agree the Artistic Text works fine when using Affinity generated paths : )

I think one issue can be if the path was created right to left, if the path was created left to right Artistic text works fine on paths created in Adobe products, you might have to reverse the text flow.

Example file: Untitled-1.ai

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Example file: Untitled-1.ai

For some reason I don't understand, when I download this file in Safari, it downloads as "Untitled-1.ai.ps" (a Postscript format file) that no app I own will open. If I delete the ".ps" extension it will open in Preview or any of the Affinity apps, but it looks like this:

598792447_ai1.jpg.490623e86f97ad9bec189294e859591b.jpg

Any idea why that is?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

For some reason I don't understand, when I download this file in Safari, it downloads as "Untitled-1.ai.ps" (a Postscript format file) that no app I own will open. If I delete the ".ps" extension it will open in Preview or any of the Affinity apps

When I download it with Firefox it downloads as a .ai file. If I view it with a text editor the first few lines are:

%PDF-1.5
%âãÏÓ
1 0 obj
<</Metadata 2 0 R/OCProperties<</D<</ON[6 0 R 7 0 R]/Order 8 0 R/RBGroups[]>>/OCGs[6 0 R 7 0 R]>>/Pages 3 0 R/Type/Catalog>>
endobj
2 0 obj
<</Length 45562/Subtype/XML/Type/Metadata>>stream
<?xpacket begin="" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

43 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

When I download it with Firefox it downloads as a .ai file.

When I try to open this page with Firefox on my Mac, I get a message saying "Gah. Your tab just crashed." So I can't even try to download it with Firefox. If I use Google Chrome, the page loads fine but when I click on the Untitled-1 file to download it, Chrome reports that the site is trying to download multiple files, which isn't true because it does download just the Untitled-1.ai file & does not tack on the extra ps extension.

Probably something wrong at my end but I don't know what it might be.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I get a message saying "Gah. Your tab just crashed."

Too bad, I can't have this message. Is there a funny icon with the message? 

But I'm using Nightly...* and by default it's asking where to save the files, not trying to open them with any apps.

Edited by Wosven
*Grumfff... I posted too fast before finishing writting!

46 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Is there a funny icon with the message? 

No funny icon, just a stylized sad face & an offer to try opening the crashed tab again (which does not work).

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

Reverse the text flow or the path.

Reverse the text path. initially Affinity Designer and artistic text will type upside down, click this icon 688344320_ScreenShot2019-08-18at17_22_20.png.d3bab805a0b64fede91665c7a0eebbf2.png On the bottom path (right to left drawn) the Artistic text is a whole world of hurt. 

The file is straight out of Adobe Illustrator CC default export settings. opens fine my end, I just drag the ai file into Affinity Designer.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I've just tried this too ... copied a curve from Illustrator CS4, pasted into Publisher, selected the curve layer then used the text tool to get text on a curve. It's backwards - just as Lozza reports. Reversing the curve or text just puts it on the other side of the line, but the letters are still flipped backwards (mirrored). It's as if there's a horizontal flip on the letters themselves - I certainly can't find a way to rectify this, short of recreating the line in Publisher,  or flipping the whole object then adjusting the curve. I'd say it was a bug.

• 4 months later...

Hello together!

I have the same problem with text on a mirrored path. After a surch i noticed that the behavior that mirrored objects can't "forget" that they have been mirrored is known since 2018.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/62359-text-on-path-mirrored-on-transformed-curves/&tab=comments#comment-323239

It would be nice to get a function that told the object to forget the state of beeing mirrord!