You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

10,000 cards with different names (data).

Eat the layout of a business card / invitation / discount card. There is a list of data with names / numbers / arbitrary texts (a very large list). How to substitute a given from a list of 10,000 cards automatically? Manually the task is unrealistic.
I asked a similar question for a long time on the forum, then they answered that this function is not for AD and should be expected in Apub. I tried to find it on my own, but could not. Does APub have this feature?

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

I can't see any way to do this without a Mail Merge function, which isn't yet available in APub.
I suspect that we may have to wait at least until v2 for it to be included.
I had a similar problem a while back, with 600+ personalised place markers and customised menus. The solution was to go back to using PagePlus, which has had this functionality for years!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I can't see any way to do this without a Mail Merge function, which isn't yet available in APub.
I suspect that we may have to wait at least until v2 for it to be included.
I had a similar problem a while back, with 600+ personalised place markers and customised menus. The solution was to go back to using PagePlus, which has had this functionality for years!

I would like to see it in 1.xx The function is basic to the publisher’s designer's discretion. Having 3 Affinity programs (full cycle), I would like to get the basic necessary functionality.

Windows 11 64-bit,

• 1 year later...

UP
A year has passed. I ran into similar work again, opened APub again and could not find this functionality. You will have to dial numbers again by hand or use third-party software.

Windows 11 64-bit,

22 hours ago, Lagarto said:

As a workaround, it is relatively easy to create a Publisher document that defines on a master page linked text frames for each field to be imported on a page, in the order the fields are organized, and then use paragraph styles to specify frame and page breaks so that imported and style tagged text flow can automatically (using AutoFlow) generate pages for each imported "record", and "fields" are placed in correct text frames:

mergedata.thumb.jpg.3de01ddaa93858a26d9e6c8f6c5482f9.jpg

If e.g. Excel or Word table (or equivalent LibreOffice table) is initially used as the source, the most effective workflow (and one that can be done by using a macro) would be first use character styles in table format to tag each column with a character style (F1, F2 and F3 in the example), then first convert the table to tab separated text, and then replace tabs with paragraph breaks, and after that import the text flow e.g. via Clipboard to Publisher. Character styles are retained, and can easily be replaced with equivalent paragraph styles (Field1, Field2 and Field3), which define text flow breaks (next page, next frame, next frame) and text styles.

It is not as effective as creating directly from database fields, but nevertheless allows creating complex and professional merged documents. 

datamerger.afpub

DataMarkedWithCharStyles.docx 23.8 kB · 0 downloads

UPDATE: Note that 10,000 pages would probably become a challenge in Publisher even if you only have text, so this kind of job would need to be created in parts. An effective mail merge feature would allow outputting directly to PDF, which would avoid generation of a large publication, but on the other hand, it is often necessary to do this step to be able to edit individual records (e.g. re-wrap badly split names).

Thanks for the tip. I'll figure it out. This time there was an order for 100 numbers, made by hand.

Windows 11 64-bit,

In general I would not try to do a simple issue like that in Publisher at all - I would use the serial document function in MS office or Libre / Open Office. There even exist templates for standard sticker sheets from the sticker companies that can be used for an easy set up. These come in the standard office template file formats.

There is IMHO no need for Publisher to mimic each and every function available in other programs.