You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Updating Affinity apps on Windows 10 without admin rights

Hi,

In a corporate environment, users usually do not have admin rights on their windows 10 machines. With Affinity apps in version 1.6.x, it's not possible to update them once installed by an administrator, because they require a separate download and to run the new installation program with admin rights. My question is, if a 1.7.1 is installed, is the update procedure for future updates different and can be expected to be able to run on the app without an admin intervention?

• Staff

With a Multi-user licence to can deploy the Affinity apps globally over your network via SSCM or GPO without having to log on each machine as an admin and manually run the installation program and also deploy any future updates via the same method..

Thanks @DWright for your reply. As one of the end-users, I'm not very familiar with acronyms like SSCM or GPO. We do have some central system to make software requestable for  installation (that how I got AP and AD to be installed on the computer), but somehow, that require quite some preparation of the package to make it available (that I initiated). As far as I understand, the same manual preparation will be needed for each update to distribute. I was hoping this could be avoided if the apps were able to update themselves. 

Currently, we only have a very few installations (<10), so we are using individual licences. If interest is raising in the company and we get to a higher level, maybe that would justify some kind of multi-user license, but we are not there yet (although I try to be a good ambassador :)). At the current level, it should not be a volume issue, that each installation updates itself.

3 hours ago, vonBusing said:

At the current level, it should not be a volume issue, that each installation updates itself.

Each application does update itself, but unfortunately the update process requires Administrative authority.

I think that the only time the application updates itself is if you purchased via the Mac or Windows Store. And I'm not sure if Windows Store purchases would still require administrative authority to do the initial install or any updates

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1