nixiejames

Texture Line Styles on Affinity Photo

I'm on the latest beta of Affinity Photo and I can't apply brush shapes to curves made using the pen tool.

I'm supposed to just change the stroke settings to texture line style then change the type of brush, right? Nothing happens afterwards. The stroke remains a regular line. Dash line style works so I know the curves in Photo are still smart objects. Applying textures to curves in Photo should be possible like in Designer. 

Brushes in Affinity Photo are raster brushes (pixel based) and cannot be applied to a curve, for that to happen you would need a vector brush which Affinity Photo doesn't have but Affinity Designer does. In order to use the brushes in Affinity Photo you will need to use the Brush tool.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

If that’s the case, then they should’ve removed the texture line styles tab from the stroke settings. I’m hoping there’s a workaround.

You could edit the document in Designer: File > Edit in Designer and then from Affinity Designer use File > Edit in Photo as a round trip. But the brushes that can be applied to the curve are only the vector brushes available in Affinity Designer.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

18 hours ago, nixiejames said:

If that’s the case, then they should’ve removed the texture line styles tab from the stroke settings.

It is there to provide compatibility with files created in Designer but edited in Photo.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

It is there to provide compatibility with files created in Designer but edited in Photo.

Good point.

In theory, though, if the file has not been edited in Designer, or was edited but no texture line style was assigned, that tab could be suppressed in Photo. But I'm not sure which approach would be likely to cause less confusion.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In theory, though, if the file has not been edited in Designer, or was edited but no texture line style was assigned, that tab could be suppressed in Photo. But I'm not sure which approach would be likely to cause less confusion.

There is also the Studio Link complication to consider ...

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

I say remove it coz it's depressing haha. I don't think it should be too difficult to change that and avoid complications with the link. 

The fact that you can still change the curve to a dash line style after you make it tells me that it should be possible to apply a textured line style only rasterized. I don't like using Designer's brushes on curves because of how they behave when closing a curve. They create a weird gap so you have to break the curve then just create the illusion that it is closed.