You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove/Transparencuy behind image and text, basically want to remove white background to be placed on black shirt.

• Staff

Hi Chris,

Not sure if i'm missing something here.  The text doesn't appear to have a background and currently has a white fill, so you'd get white text with no background if you had this printed on a black t-shirt.  The checkerboard behind the sheep and text, means it's all setup to have a transparent background.  If you export this out as a PNG/PDF and get it printed on a t-shirt, it should look correct :) 

This may depend on the t-shirt printing process. To do it properly the white would need to be specified as a 'special' colour so that it does actually get printed. If you think about printing onto paper the white doesn't actually get printed but left unprinted. So trying to print the same just switching to black paper results in nothing.

There are different methods of printing onto T-Shirts, the best is probably screen printing, but many of the digital t-shirt prints I've seen are basically printed onto a special paper then transferred onto the t-shirt (which actually takes the white background with it whether you like it or not!). That was the process we used to use at a company I used to work for. It was basically printed on a colour copier in reverse then ironed onto the t-shirt using a hot press. If that's the process this company is using then you may have to think again about the design and include the white bg, or actually put a black background on the design (which will probably look different to the t-shirt colour when transferred). Not ideal for what you are trying to do.

I hope that explains the situation a little bit. A discussion with the printer may help you further if that's possible.

19 minutes ago, Chris Robinson said:

Maybe it is the lamb layer that needs a transparent background. 

Yes, everything in your file which should not cover the black shirt with color must be transparent – as done and shown correctly in your 1st screenshot above.

As your 2nd screenshot says it shows a preview using a "sheep-6.jpg" which probably causes the issue. A JPG file by default does not show/contain transparency. A image file type which supports transparency would be PNG for instance.

The most flexible would be PDF because it would not need to rasterise vector design elements.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Your design works fine on PrintFul, you just have to ensure you Export to a PNG file so you have a transparent background

You might want to change the colour of the sheep's feet as they won't show up on a black T-shirt

sheep.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You might want to change the colour of the sheep's feet as they won't show up on a black background

Good point, Carl!

@Chris Robinson, to avoid surprises like the disappearing feet it's worth to place a black, non-transparent layer in the background of your design during layout process. Before export and to check transparency just set it to invisble.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1