You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD iPad Saving Error - Lost Everything

Hi all,

I am freaking out as I have lost an entire day of work done on Affinity Designer iPad. Using the “Open from Cloud” function, I have been working on a file that was saved in Google Drive. I am a frequent saver, and have been saving my progress all day. I closed the file from the welcome screen. Later, when I re-opened it, it was a version from yesterday. I went on my desktop on Google Drive and viewed the previous versions of the file. It shows a save history that corresponds perfectly with the times I was working and saving my progress. However, every single revision in the list (30 versions) is missing all of my progress from today.

Please advise and let me know if there is any way to recover this progress! I also feel this is an error because according to the help file, what I did should have been overwriting the file on Google Drive all the way along. And the versioning confirms that the file was being saved according to Google Drive, however no new data was saved because every past version is exactly the same.

IPad Air 2, iOS 12.4, AD 1.7.1

3F9ED93D-C59D-40A7-B280-ED7C294ADA09.jpeg

• Staff

Hi vincentlepes,

Sorry to hear the trouble you are having.  I've tried replicating the issue and my changes got passed to Google Drive each time.  I opened a .afphoto file from Google Drive, turned the image black and white and used the document menu to Save this.  Checked the file in Google drive and the edit had been passed.  I then undid the edit, saved and everything was fine.  I've don't this a number of times and each time the file has been updated.

As Google Drive allows you to view the previous 2 versions, could you upload the last 2 saved files to our Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/request/GhfmjBeCCXWXoCVdattc and i'll see if there is anything we can find out from them.

The other thread you posted on is unrelated to this, as that is about saving to the default iCloud folder that Affinity creates.  This is different behaviour from using the Open from Cloud option when using Google Drive.

Thanks for clarifying, I guess I assumed the cloud functionality was the same. I will perform a similar operation to yours where I make obvious edits to the file each time. I will send you a screen recording from my iPad as I go and I’ll upload the past few versions from google drive for you to see. Hopefully this helps because I rely on this functionality to work for me. It was a primary reason I switched fully to Affinity. Thanks for investigating, I’ll follow up soon.

Ok. So, I recreated the steps. One save posted properly this time but another save did not. Yesterday I was remote on Amtrak using WiFi and phone tethering in the daytime, and at home with my stable internet connection working in the evening, so I can't attribute it to a spotty connection. The final save and close happened at home.

I am going to upload a zip file to the Dropbox for you and here is a detail of each file and why I included it so you have the full picture. I'm also happy to provide any further details or files to help in nailing this down. I used the original file in question just in case it's something going on with that particular file.

• AD iPad Screen Recording - I recorded myself making obvious changes to a file and saving it back to Google Drive
  • Donut BBQ - This is the original file, there is the current version as well as the past two versions. You'll see in this case that it did actually update once, but did not catch both updates as the pink color I painted is not there in the current version.
  • GD Versions - A screenshot of the most recent versions where my changes should have been reflected so you can see it was saved as many times as I saved it, but not updated consistently each time
  • GD Versions Monday - A short screen recording showing how many times it was saved Monday and the file was not updated in any of these versions
  • Monday Files - A screenshot of what every update on Monday looks like - basically the initial sketch of the design minus all my hard work
  • Lost Progress - A progress screenshot I sent to my client about halfway through yesterday before I quit working where you can see the file had changed dramatically over the course of Monday

Thanks for looking into this, it's a real deal breaker for me to lose entire days of work! The real kick was checking in Google Drive to see confirmation all along the way that my file had uploaded only to discover in horror that none of the versions were updated!

And while I can see how my issue was unrelated to the other thread, there are details that align, in case they are helpful. In particular, I didn't lose all my progress until I saved and closed the file from the AD welcome screen in a misguided attempt to get it to sync. This was prompted because I wanted to switch over to Photo to use a radial blur and when I would open from Google Drive, I was getting the old version with no progress. So I thought saving from the home screen and closing would prompt a forced update, or perhaps saving within the app wasn't actually saving. I wish I could take that one moment back where I confirmed the close, but I saved it in two ways AND confirmed in Drive that the file showed an update and so I thought I was good.

You can just imagine the horror after doubling the progress from Lost Progress.jpg and opening every version to be presented with Monday Files.png!

Lost Progress.jpg

Monday Files.png

I don't know if this is related, but I saved a copy of a file to my Google Drive using the iPad version of Designer, and it never appeared in the Google Drive app, nor online at drive.google.com, nor on my desktop. I tried twice with no results. Then I saved a copy to Dropbox and it worked the first time. Perhaps Designer is not playing well with Google Drive, specifically? Is there a way to reset this connection and maybe it will work next time?

The plot thickens. This may be an issue with iOS 12.4 or else Google Drive, potentially, and not specific to Designer. Today I tried to move, copy and save a file to Google Drive using the Apple Files app. None of these operations gave me any feedback, confirmations, or errors, and the files did not save in any of those attempts. I looked online and others are having issues with iOS 12 and Drive not saving files as well. I have yet to find a working solution but I will report back if I figure it out.

Oh and I also updated Drive and made sure I am on the latest iOS update. No change, still doesn’t save. How frustrating! At least an error would let me know to use iCloud or Dropbox as a go between, rather than the software giving zero feedback as I move forward and lose progress.