You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance in PHOTO super slow on MAC

Hello.

When I work on files with very much layers (illustrations with many layer effects), Photo get´s very slow, so that I get totally stuck in my workflow. When I want to draw, I don´t even see the brushstroke. It appears seconds afterwards. How can I change this.?  The Affinity Photo File I´m working on has 85 MB. I cannot go on like this when there is a tight deadline.  I work on Mac with Mojave VERSION 10.14.5 and Grafikkarte: Radeon Pro 555 2 GB with 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4.  Can someone help me out?

Thank you very much

Martin

Actually it has to have something to do with PHOTO. Cause I could open the same file in DESIGNER and export it without problems as JPEG and PSD and TIFF in no time. But in Photo it just is stuck. It does´nt let me export the file. But as far as I know I have the new versions. I downloaded the last updates in June.

Can anybody help me?

Thank you so much!

Reset application - Start with Ctrl? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

For example here:

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

For this job to finish i will have to move back to photoshop. Photo maybe doesn´t cope with such a range of different layers with different special effects on it. It performs very slow, when zooming in it delays, you don´t see the brushstrokes in real time but in very slow delays and you cannot export files as Jpeg or Photoshop. Interesting is that you can do all this as soon you flat the layers to one. Then you can export and work fast. Bust with all the layers on it is just stuck. I hope this can be fixed.

Is it possible to provide a source file? Maybe it would be useful for developers as an example for a stress test.

• Staff

Hi illudo,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If there are several live filters/adjustments affecting the pixel layer(s) you are working with/painting then this could happen because all strokes you paint are also being affected by those adjustments/filters in real time. Try to turn them off whenever possible while you paint to speed up the rendering.

Thanks for your answers!

How do you turn them off without deleting them?

And what about the issue with the exporting? They have to be turned on otherwise the Illustration looks differently. I always use very much filters and effects on my illustrations. I just donwloaded the latets PHOTO beta version but still the exporting doesn`t function. the brush strokes seem more fluently though. Zooming in still delays a bit. BTW.: When I switch the same illustration to DESIGNER it easily exports everything. I am just not sure if then all the filters and effects and colours still are the same in the end, when printed. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

• Staff

Untick their respective checkbox in the Layers panel to turn then off. Disable a few of them while you paint, then when you want to export the file, enable them all again. Do you mind providing the file for us to take a look please so we can see exactly what's going on? Here's an upload link you can use to upload the file to us. Thanks.

Hi,

Same issue here. I suggest you to go to Affinity Photo > Preferences and in the Performance tab please try changing the Display dropdown this should hopefully solve your issue.

In regard of the beta version of Affinity Photo, consider removing the previous edition which may contain kinda of bugs. 

I understand. I´ll try. As I  said I  encounter the problem of Photo not exporting at all. I have to switch to the designer to be able to export. Strangely until yesterday everything was fine. At a certain point it seems that or the file got corrupted or the application is stuck. But I experienced the same issue with another very big illustration i made with several layers and all one month ago on my Imac and Mac book air.

Thanks!

Thank you for your answer! I was there already. I doubled all the numbers (by chance) but nothing with the performance changed.

What preferences I have to put in? (See the picture below.) Do I have to go up or down with the RAM. As I am not really the tecnical guy I am afraid to destroy more by moving it around then if I leave it that way. Thanks! 

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-12 um 11.55.00.png

No, the warnings are for hard-drive usage, which isn't usually a problem.

Did decreasing the RAM size help at all? I cant see one image using all of 16gb no matter how many layers you have, but Affinity might try and grab the whole 16gb for itself which would certainly cause problems. 

Lowering the RAM value is worth a try at least.

Hi, I decreased it. I can only say that the tip from MEB to untick the effects layers workd so that i could paint faster. If the decreasing helped i don´t know. Still I couldn´t export nothing,. even in the Beta version. So I am working around with Designe, Painter, Photoshop and Photo to get the result. But thanks a lot for now. I´ll keep an eye on the issues and let you know.

• Staff

Hi illudo,
Please upload the file you are working with using the link I posted In my previous reply so we can inspect the file. Without seeing it have no idea what and how many live filters/adjustments you have, how they are structured in the layer's stack or if there is in fact an issue caused by Metal compute acceleration or anything else which may also slow things down.

It would be very important for me to know how to deal with it cause very often I have big files with over 50 -100 Layers with different effects and groups. I am looking forward to hear from you. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.