You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Learning the ideas behind image editing

Hello,

I have watched loads of videos about Affinity Photo, and I am happy that I can manage the mechanics of using Affinity to edit photos.

I know how to manipulates levels, curves, vibrance etc. My problem is that i don't know when to do those things.

What I mean is that, given a particular image, i do not have he experience to diagnose the problem and know how to fix it.

The image is flat and muddy - but what do i do about it? What do i tweek? Where to start?

Could anyone point me to a place where I can learn these kinds of editing principles, rather than the mechanics of the software?

Thanks for your help

karl

For example, below is an image i quite like (I am only a beginner) then following it there is the way the image looks after applying soft proofing - muddy and flat.

I have no idea where to start in trying to alter the image so the printing version will look something like the original.

Everything I try just makes it look horrible.

I am not asking for the solution to this image, it just illustrates my problem, I am  just wondering where to go and learn what i need to know  - or is it just trial and error?

Thanks

BEFORE.thumb.jpg.c0e1a9cfb1403261165ad918dfb6f93b.jpgAFTER.thumb.jpg.700aaff583717127f81f7d37c2854b01.jpg