You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Consistent 1 pixel boarder not possible for HD format

I belong to a camera club that prefers a 1 pixel boarder when a boarder is used in HD size pictures. To do this I go to "select all" then Select "grow/shrink" which I select -2 px  (one on each side and top and bottom) then "Select Invert Pixel Selection" Then "Edit Fill" and finally "Select Deselect" But most of the attempts result in missing boarder on one or or more of the edges.

The photo software I used to use but which shall remain nameless did not exhibit this problem.

I am using Windows 10 Version 1903 and Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.445

I have tried to attach an example but when the upload has finished an error is reported, I tried to upload a Jpeg version and Afphoto version but both report upload failed.

Thanks for trying to provide the samples. If you have an account at Dropbox or a similar site you should be able to upload them there, and provide a sharing link.

If not, perhaps you could give us a bit more information. It might be useful to at least know your image pixel dimensions, for example. "HD" is not a photograph size with one standard definition, as far as I know.

By the way, in my experience with Affinity Photo, Grow/Shrink selection is symmetric, so if you wanted a 1px border on all sides you would shrink by -1px, not -2px. A shrink by -2px would give 2px on all sides.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks for trying to provide the samples. If you have an account at Dropbox or a similar site you should be able to upload them there, and provide a sharing link.

Off topic: You can use the free wetransfer.com to send up to 2 GB. It will stay available for 7 days

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Whenever I add a 1px border to any image I only see it on 2 sides of the image (even when viewed at 100%)

Likewise, if I add a 3px border to an image I will only see 3px on 2 sides of the image and 2px on the other sides

Affinity seems to lose 1px every time when adding a border (no matter how it is applied)

But this is only a visual/display problem, it does actually add the border correctly.

Even if you add a 1px border to an image and export it to, say, a JPG file then reopen the JPG file back in Affinity it still looks like it is missing the border on 2 sides.  But if you open the same JPG file in another program you will see that the border is actually correct.

And if I add a 1px border to an image in Photoshop and open that image in Affinity it still fails to display the 1px border on 2 sides of the image, so it looks like Affinity is just cutting off 1px from the right and bottom sides of any image I open.

This problem has been there since the very beginning and I am so used to it now I just ignore it, knowing that my exports will actually be correct

I first reported it in November 2016, so hopefully, it has been working its way up the bug queue and will be fixed soon

Original report:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27925-outline-effect-display-issue/ 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks to all the responses. Now I have seen that the boarder is in fact there even though I can't see it while editing. 

The HD size I mentioned, used by camera clubs for projecting to a screen is 1920 px wide by 1080 px high. One dimension can be cropped provided the other is the exact dimension.

This post has been helpful in bringing my attention to the easier way of producing the border using layer effects.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon