You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need BeginningTutorial Suggestion, not Affinity

Hi, I am about to start, again, trying to learn Affinity from Step One, and I find the AF tutorials too fast and done by experts who do not seem to grasp that some of us need, crawl, walk, run sequence. I just want to start from the very beginning and the in house tutorials, for me, anyway, do not teach me clearly step by step and then move on the next stage. Too much complicated stuff too early and spoken too fast. Sorry, but it is more frustrating than helpful. What other sources might I consider to get started? I would like to maybe do one video a day, or until I get it. Thanks for any suggestions, Stuart

8 minutes ago, SF Charter Boat said:

Too much complicated stuff too early and spoken too fast. 

Are you using the new tutorials, issued with v. 1.7, or the previous ones?   The new ones (I think) provide far greater detail, and with a better/easier pace.)  It seemed very difficult when I first watched the previous ones, but there was always the stop button.  And the sliders to go back over a portion of a tutorial to see what tool that was? or what Menu that was? or where is "Rasterize" or what do they mean, "Layers?"   I also learn by writing things down, so on the first gasp I watched a tutorial, then watched it again, pausing it to write down what that step was, then going on to the next.  Then I tried it on my own, using my written instructions.  Then back to the tutorial.  And then "Eureka!" suddenly it was as clear as could be.   The fun with Affinity is that there is so much that is wonderful that one can do.  And there are always the Forums if you are stuck.     

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

If you look at the videos on Youtube, you can slow down the flow, and use the arrows to go backward or forward 5 seconds, and the spacebar to pause the video.
You can try subtitles if reading help you, but automated subtitles can be hilarious or confusing since the translation isn't always accurate.

The cog will give you options like speed, and the subtitles are with the icon at its left.

2019-08-12_201248.png.641316b7f596de7ded06a7ed96ac963d.png

Thanks for replies, probably pre 1.7, but went to Tutorials on the site and the guy with Black hair and black glasses goes way too fast for a Beginner, so I assume it is the latest  Affinity version. I feel the "teachers" know too much but cannot teach. There is a huge gap in Affinity for the ones just starting, my guess 95% of tutorials are for more advanced, which is fine, but you gotta get there first. I bought the book, but the book does not even start with Beginners! You hove to go half way into the book to start? WTF? 

Thanks but no subtitles. Will try the links of the others, but a shame that Affinity developers and programers simply cannot grasp that we have to start, and they are simply not aware that their speed and presentation is not useful for those beginning . They just do not get it because they know too much. Give me someone who knows just a fraction, but can instruct A, B, C in clear fashion any day over the hot shots.