You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Update notification for v. 458 missing in v. 442

I knew that the new Publisher Beta 458 is available, so opened my Publisher Beta 442, expecting to receive the customary update notification screen.   Nothing.  The program just opened, ready to go as v. 442.  So I looked up Check for Updates, and sure enough, the screen opened and the update happened.   Curiously,  I also did not get the usual Apple notification that I was opening a third-part app and did I want to do it?  That notification formerly arrived before I opened the program.   With v. 458 it finally turned up when I hit FILE>NEW and was about to enter a text frame.  The update itself is working seamlessly.  Are we into a new procedure?  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

13 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

... Curiously,  I also did not get the usual Apple notification that I was opening a third-part app and did I want to do it?  ...

I think that is to be expected, when I install an application it is going into the Applications folder for the first time and is an unknown, when I update an application the app is already 'okay' in the Applications folder.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I think that is to be expected, when I install an application it is going into the Applications folder for the first time and is an unknown, when I update an application the app is already 'okay' in the Applications folder.

My point is that either this is an anomaly or a different setup.   My Mac knows that I have the Publisher Customer Beta in the applications folder (along with all of the other Betas, and the three 1.7 versions of Photo, Designer, and Publisher.)  Before v. 458, when I opened the currently installed Publisher Beta,  the notification would pop up immediately that there was a new version.  Doesn't bother me one way or another.   Just curious to know whether people who don't haunt the forums will find out that an update is available.   Hoooooooooooooo!  (Haunting.)

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

Before v. 458, when I opened the currently installed Publisher Beta,  the notification would pop up immediately that there was a new version.  

There are several stages of making an update available, from what I've seen. Roughly, Serif:

1. Puts it on the server.
  2. Notifies us in the forum.
  3. At some point (minutes, hours, or days later, possibly) they enable it for automatic updating.

It is only after step 3 that you would be notified when you run the out-dated version. It is possible (only Serif would know for sure) that a manually run Check for Updates will work after step 1 but before step 3. Or, possibly, you hit a timing window: you started .442 just before step 3 happened, then Serif performed step 3, and then you ran Check for Updates.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi jmwellborn,

I don’t think anything has changed with the auto-updater. I uploaded the auto-update patches around 4:15 (BST) - I don’t know how that fits in with your timing. A quick test run just after uploading worked as expected for me - I suppose best to just say let us know if you experience problems again.

18 hours ago, AdamW said:

Hi jmwellborn,

I don’t think anything has changed with the auto-updater. I uploaded the auto-update patches around 4:15 (BST) - I don’t know how that fits in with your timing. A quick test run just after uploading worked as expected for me - I suppose best to just say let us know if you experience problems again.

I ran the update 3 hours after the notice was posted on the Forums yesterday.   That was around 1 PM US eastern standard time.  Previously I have usually updated around 6 hours after posting, or when I happen upon the notice.   Next time I will simply wait a bit longer.  In this case the early bird didn’t quite get the worm!  Glad it wasn’t a bug.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.