hburkes88

What is the difference between "Clarity" and "Detail Refinement" in the Raw Persona?

I am trying to fine tune and better understand the process between the "Clarity" setting and the "Detail Refinement" setting. I can tell that they do slightly different things but I have searched extensively and cannot find an answer that will tell me in technical terms what is going on when I apply these settings.

Thanks a bunch for any light that you might shed.

-Hunter

The Clarity filter enhances the local contrast in an image. Its greatest influence is in the mid-tonal range. This results in a sharpening effect.

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Filters/filter_clarity.html

Detail Refinement: Sharpen edges to add clarity to images.

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Adjustments/adjustment_detailRefinement.html

Wish the Online search would have links for content chapters, like being able to link to Develop Persona.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

17 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Wish the Online search would have links for content chapters, like being able to link to Develop Persona.

Whaddya mean, Dex? The help on Detail Refinement tells us that it’s “only available in Develop Persona”.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.3 (iPad Air 2)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Whaddya mean, Dex? The help on Detail Refinement tells us that it’s “only available in Develop Persona”.

55145929_ScreenShot2019-08-12at17_56_47.png.1da1cdc3dabcbf33cc24b9bc2786ebd3.png

So instead of being able to link to the Chapter, I can only select one of the pages within the chapter - if that makes sense.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

17 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

instead of being able to link to the Chapter, I can only select one of the pages within the chapter - if that makes sense

Yes, that does make sense, but the ‘Developing raw images’ page (which is where the quoted ‘Develop Persona’ link takes you) is the first page in that section, so it comes to the same thing.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.3 (iPad Air 2)