You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking and multiple masks in Affinity Designer

I'm a web designer and I'm also new to Affinity Designer. When I have an image in photoshop, I would add a mask, grab the gradient tool and drag the area that I want to fade out to zero opacity. If I want different areas to be faded out in the same image, I can drag the gradient tool in different directions and get multiple "fades" on different directions in the same mask. Is there a way to do that in Affinity Designer or to achieve the same effect with masks?

• Staff

Hi Dannyj, Welcome to the forums.

If you add the Mask Layer and apply your 1st gradient fade, once this has been done, use the Selection Brush to select the 2nd part of the image you want to fade and now use the gradient tool within the selection.  

There could be other ways to do this all so, but this is the only method i have found for now that works.  I'm sure someone else will come along and post if there are other ways of doing this :)  Hope this helps for now

• Staff

Hi dannyj,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the image object/layer you want to apply the mask, click Mask Layer at the bottom of the Layers panel. The mask will be attached to that object/layer (collapse the layer if needed to see the mask attached, as opposed to inside the layer. If you expand the layer, the layer mask has a bigger indenting than regular objects). Now select the mask layer clicking on its thumbnail on the layers panel, change to the Gradient tool and drag it over the area you want to fade on the canvas: use the stop colours of the gradient (grayscale) to define the level of transparency of the fade.

If you want to create multiple fades on the same image, select the same Image object/layer again and repeat the process above (or right-click on the thumbnail's mask in the layers panel and select duplicate, then adjust the direction of the gradient of the newly attached mask). You can add as much mask layers as you need.

Is it possible that this does´t work in the App Store version?

At least for me it does not work, the gradient does just not apply to the mask although it seems to be all properly selected.

And I always have some trouble selecting the gradient. When I choose the gradient tool the default seems to be "solid" although I obviously never want to apply a solid color if I choose the gradient tool.....weird :oO

• Staff

Hi MBd,

This wasn't implemented in the MAS version yet, only in the Beta (using the Gradient tool on masks).

Also you don't need to go to the Fill on the context toolbar to change the gradient's colours. Just select the object, drag the Gradient tool over it on the canvas, select one of the stop colours on the canvas controls and pick a colour from the colour wheel (Colour tab), or click on a colour well on the Swatches panel or any other place where you can select a colour.

Yes actually just dragging works in say eg. squares, thanks :)

Is there also a possibility to just drag out a gradient online a whole layer like it works in AP?

Okay so I´ll grab my cup of coffee again and wait till it releases. Don´t want to be on beta everywhere...  

Thanks! 

Hi dannyj,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the image object/layer you want to apply the mask, click Mask Layer at the bottom of the Layers panel. The mask will be attached to that object/layer (collapse the layer if needed to see the mask attached, as opposed to inside the layer. If you expand the layer, the layer mask has a bigger indenting than regular objects). Now select the mask layer clicking on its thumbnail on the layers panel, change to the Gradient tool and drag it over the area you want to fade on the canvas: use the stop colours of the gradient (grayscale) to define the level of transparency of the fade.

If you want to create multiple fades on the same image, select the same Image object/layer again and repeat the process above (or right-click on the thumbnail's mask in the layers panel and select duplicate, then adjust the direction of the gradient of the newly attached mask). You can add as much mask layers as you need.

Beautiful! It works just like you said. I bought Sketch a while back, moving from Photoshop/Fireworks/Illustrator but Sketch isn't quite enough. I think I'm buying Affinity Designer tonight. I'm looking forward to the updates coming around the bend!