You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am new to Affinity Photo and using a forum. I am trying to remove objects/people from a photo using the inpainting brush. I select the brush follow the process in the videos but nothing happens. I have used nef, jpeg and psd file versions of photo but nothing happens. If I select what I want to remove then go to the Edit the inpaint is greyed out. Any suggestions?

I think your layer was´t selected.

In the attached video I showed the two cases.

1. Layer is selected by default > Impainting brush works

2. I deselected the layer and the Imprinting brush does´t know where to impaint (haha)

2.1 select the layer and the brush works fine again

Note: you can see that a Layer is selected when it´s blue

Hope you enjoy the Affinity products :)

Thanks MBd. I had selected the photo(layer) but hadn't rasterised it, didn't know I had to. Once I rasterised the photo(layer) the inpainting brush works. Does this make sense to you?  I am at the frustrating/early learning stage and whilst I try to get it right in camera, Photo seems an amazing product. Thanks again for your help and keep doing the videos. :)

Okay great idea and great that you managed it yourself!

I guess all my photos are rasterised since they only composed of pixels?

I actually don't know what rasterise does exactly. I always though you just need to rasterize vector images when you want to apply sort of pixel based effects.

Tip: if you have to preserve a area and want to avoid it being affected by the imprinting you can first create a selection and then work in this selection (or if you reverse it, outside the selection) with the impainting tool.

• Staff

Hi Glyn,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you open a raw format in Affinity Photo, the photo will open in the Develop Persona (third icon right below the traffic lights). This persona is meant to develop photos (raw) not for regular localised edits (with some exceptions) and doesn't have an Inpainting tool available.

The Photo Persona (first icon right below the traffic lights) is where you can do all type of edits/compositions and where all the other non-raw formats will open (psd, jpeg, etc). To use the Inpainting tool here you must ensure that a layer is selected, then select the Inpainting Brush Tool from the left toolbar (it's on the same group as the Healing Brush Tool - press and hold the mouse over it to see and select one of the other tools, in our case the Inpainting Brush) then paint over the areas you want to remove. This is the quickest and easiest way to do it.

To use the option in the Edit menu you must create a selection first, otherwise it will appear greyed out.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

Thanks MEB, it all makes sense now.  I try to get it right in camera, but have done any photo edits in Aperture as this has an easy useable library to keep all my photos and I am use to it.  Do intend to start using Affinity Photo to do any edits, but not sure how best to store them in a library, hence one of the reasons I use Aperture.

It is great to get such quick help and guidance when you have a problem.  I am sure Photo will replace Aperture for photographers and feel so confident in your software have bought Affinity Designer, just need to practice using it.  Thanks again.  :)