You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

brushes 2500 pixels are lagging

I use the wacom Intuos 4 tablet,in 445 the problem is again there brushes from 2500 px are lagging and loading very bad. With the mouse its not a problem.
And yes I have the leatest wacom drivers. Are there others with this?

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

With my machine, every app (not just Affinity's) lags with a 400px brush.... There's a limit in hardware, it depends a lot on the machine. In some apps is about how large is the cache memory size of the cpu (about that, latest AMDs solutions tend to have huge cache sizes), in others, it's just other matters of the CPU, in others the GPU memory... I guess it depends on how is it internally made in every app. (but am personally getting that 300 - 400px limit, for fluid painting, in this typewriter of a PC).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

17 hours ago, SrPx said:

With my machine, every app (not just Affinity's) lags with a 400px brush.... There's a limit in hardware, it depends a lot on the machine. In some apps is about how large is the cache memory size of the cpu (about that, latest AMDs solutions tend to have huge cache sizes), in others, it's just other matters of the CPU, in others the GPU memory... I guess it depends on how is it internally made in every app. (but am personally getting that 300 - 400px limit, for fluid painting, in this typewriter of a PC).

I use I5 4850 with Win10 and 28gb memory + Nividia 1050 ti gpu

-  64 bits. 

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

Yep, nice machine (i5, but 4th gen instead of 1st), it is better than mine (easy to achieve goal, lol), and your g. card is remarkably better,  but I can't imagine it allowing to paint fluidly (or what I understand by fluidly) with a 2500 pixels brush... Not in Photoshop, nor in Affinity, neither in CSP. Even while these are all what you could call efficient tools, in performance. I am amazed about it not being a problem painting with the mouse . Do you have for a chance a recorded video of it? ( personally, more interested on the 2500px brush painting fluidly with the mouse).

Unless by painting you mean "stamping".  That is, some large brush texture of clouds (for example), and you are like painting "dots",  instead of continuos painting.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

15 hours ago, SrPx said:

Yep, nice machine (i5, but 4th gen instead of 1st), it is better than mine (easy to achieve goal, lol), and your g. card is remarkably better,  but I can't imagine it allowing to paint fluidly (or what I understand by fluidly) with a 2500 pixels brush... Not in Photoshop, nor in Affinity, neither in CSP. Even while these are all what you could call efficient tools, in performance. I am amazed about it not being a problem painting with the mouse . Do you have for a chance a recorded video of it? ( personally, more interested on the 2500px brush painting fluidly with the mouse).

Unless by painting you mean "stamping".  That is, some large brush texture of clouds (for example), and you are like painting "dots",  instead of continuos painting.

These brushes are official for PS, and yes this is happening only with the wacom tablet I use. I will try to record a screen video to show whats happen.

-  64 bits. 

well I have try to get a video capture but I don't get this with mouse pointer, so this is not really the way.
After download the leatest beta 464, its not better at all. Can't really use the pen tablet for designing or retouche photo's. Very slow loading the brushes greater than 1000 px. 
with the normal mouse I can work, but its not my way to work. :(

-  64 bits. 

Hello @studio97,

did you try in the Wacom driver to disable the Windows Ink function ( in German it es:   Windows Freihand verwenden) or deactivate the Ink function  in the windowsettings.

Maybe it helps.

Cheers

Wcom-1.thumb.PNG.5dd27aebd24942876933409bd03199d1.PNG

Wcom-2.PNG

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

every things I have already try, but or it have a problem with my wacom, but its not working. 
I have no problems in Photoshop with brushes .

The strange things is that I have no problems with big brushes and wacom in Pixel persona from Designer at all!!

-  64 bits. 

• 1 month later...

The spacing percentage will also majorly impact performance. Even a simple small round brush with 1% spacing will be a CPU hog on some machines, because there is more of the brush mark being added with each stroke. This is true in Photoshop as well. If my CPU can handle, I will push to 1%, but generally if I go too large, I may need to change spacing.

I have noticed a difference in brush lag when switching from tablet to mouse. So I agree with you, there is some type of input lag going on in Windows. There are many times I just quit using Affinity from frustration if I am doing brush work and I will use another program that is more suited to the task. It's hard to report a problem with pressure-sensitivity as well since it's something you can only "feel" when doing blending-work... like the curve does not feel linear and there is unnecessary complexity. I've tried adjusting pressure settings to no avail. The dropper still takes a few seconds to appear as well. The brush engine is too frustrating so I use it sparingly because the performance is not unpredictable instance to instance. Sometimes it behaves. Sometimes it doesn't.

I'am changed from wacom to XP-Pen 10x6 inch tablet. Now I can use most of the 2500 px brushes. 
So I think there is something in the drivers of wacom who give errors with big brushes.

-  64 bits. 

13 hours ago, studio97 said:

I'am changed from wacom to XP-Pen 10x6 inch tablet. Now I can use most of the 2500 px brushes. 
So I think there is something in the drivers of wacom who give errors with big brushes.

That's very interesting. I use an i4 as well (what you came from). I've noticed weird pressure quirks with pressure-sensitivity/driver issues in other programs as of recent. My Art Pen/rotation-enabled pen starts with a big blob in affinity and in another program, but is fine in Photoshop. The diagnostic doesn't show a problem with pressure sensitivity readings. I've debating replacing my Grip pen because it has random dips mid-painting. It's rare it happens though, but when it does it it does it for a bit so I just switch pens. I figured it may have been dropped and debated replacing it. Maybe I should just replace my whole tablet instead. xD

I suspect is more of a Windows Ink, be it the Wacom driver setting, or actually Windows Ink (windows pen-writing input options) functions not disabled.  Or an issue with the Windows service, something in any case more OS / driver / library (not all apps use the same library to interact with the pen), than the actual physical pen...

Edit: I haven't got this issue / difference using my Intuos 4 XL. True that anyways I have low performance in this machine. But not the blob or random dips. The random dips could be more of a physical issue, yep, but I wouldn't be surprised if is some OS related issue (like something interfering, irregularly).

Second edit....I had not read the "in other programs", lol. Can be depending on some apps using Wintab, others using the other library, can't remember now the name...

I was fairly sure my Grip Pen was getting ready to go and that's separate from any issue. I'm now 100% certain after trying to repair it. I had to remove a 3/4" cat hair from the inside. I'd need to resolder the leads to put it back together. I don't have the patience for it atm because reassembling is such a pain. It is nearly 10 years old anyway. I ordered a new pen, the Classic Pen which I received today. My issue(s) are more performance-related with Affinity, but unrelated. My Art Pen is a separate issue, probably driver-related. The pressure works just fine, it just starts with a 100% on every stroke. Very frustrating. Doesn't matter if you use Win Ink or not. Wacom has QA issue(s) with their later models as well as their drivers, somewhat lamentable given their stellar track-record in the past. I wouldn't rule out Win pen support interfering as the implementation of that has always required workarounds (such as needing to raise double-click distance) to get Wacoms working right. It makes testing and troubleshooting in a way that would be effective for the developers working on beta more complicated than it needs to really be... but some painting programs now have started to add the option inside the preferences to toggle Win Ink/Win Tab support to help circumvent that.

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon