You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canon 6D mk II 2 years now and still no support on .CR2

How come AP don't support my camera? They say it's on the list but that's inaccurate because RAW files are still in magenta. This is very visible if I use bit higher ISO and pic is underexposed. I'll place example here and you guys can check it yourself. Open it and you'll see what I mean.

IMG_7587.CR2

4 minutes ago, TamasC said:

That is indeed quite strange. Has to do something with Affinity's RAW engine I guess. I can't help you with this, but I can confirm that Photoshop does not have this problem, while in Affinity Photo the photo has a highly visible magenta shift.

And Ps did it in 2 months...

I wouldn't hate on Affinity personally. We have to take into account that Affinity's very small compared to Adobe and also, they don't milk you for $52.99 a month, like Adobe does. Affinity Photo is tremendously good value, but everything has its downsides.

I agree though that it shouldn't take 2 years to add proper support for one of the biggest manufacturer's camera.

@Pipit,

I had no problem opening and developing your CR2 Raw file. Severely underexposed image of golf game? What version of AP are you running? This is done in the current retail release. I also tried it in the current Beta.

Canon6D2IMG_7587.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

13 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

@Pipit,

I had no problem opening and developing your CR2 Raw file. Severely underexposed image of golf game? What version of AP are you running? This is done in the current retail release. I also tried it in the current Beta.

Canon6D2IMG_7587.jpg

That's just what I mean. The pic is way more magenta than it should be. I'll put .jpeg that was converted by DPP 4 to .TIFF and opened in AP.

IMG_7587_iso_fb.jpg

What about using adobe raw to dng app?

Are you using the serif raw engine or the apple raw engine, assuming you are on mac¬¬

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

What about using adobe raw to dng app?

Are you using the serif raw engine or the apple raw engine, assuming you are on mac¬¬

Sorry I didn't say it, but I use Win 10 and I haven't found app that converts to .dng.

@Pipit

I'm not sure what the problem is here.

The first screenshot below shows your RAW file open in the Develop persona of the latest Beta of AP, no changes made.

The second shows what I see if I press Develop and then apply a little Brightness and Contrast in the same version of AP.

Finally, when opened in Canon's own DPP4 (latest version, 3rd screenshot).  I honestly see very little difference between this and my first screenshot, perhaps a little darker.

Jeff

ScreenShot00582.jpg

ScreenShot00583.jpg

ScreenShot00584.jpg

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Well, it's a 12800 ISO, at 180mm on f2.8 image, so you also can't expect quality miracles from that shot.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Yes it's a low quality image and Affinity can not make it any better!

It needs a huge white balance/exposure correction to get something like this out of it.

I checked in in Capture One 12 and the result is the same but without the magenta artefact.

First Image is developed in Affinity Photo And I used Topaz DeNoise AI:

example-affinity-raw.jpg

Second image also in Affinity Photo, but with Topaz Adjust AI and I used Topaz DeNoise AI:

example-affinity-raw-adjust.jpg

• Staff

Hi @Pipit :)

As you have mentioned the Canon 6D Mk2 is a compatible RAW format for Affinity Photo, as can be seen by our supported RAW list here - 

I have downloaded a sample RAW image from Photography Blog and opened this in Affinity Photo, then compared this to the sample JPEG of the same image -

image.png

As far as I can see, the images are visually similar (ignoring the post processing applied to the JPEG) and no magenta cast is apparent.

Your issue seems to be image specific, your RAW file is heavily underexposed and has been taken at the highest ISO point. You may be able to recover this image using the advice provided above, but no photo software can work miracles and certain tones (such as magenta) may be accentuated in this process - needing further image manipulation to reduce this.

Perhaps you could add a Curves adjustment to your image, set the channel to Red and drag the curve down to reduce the magenta tones.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Looks like it was a demo shot for glo'f balls. ^_^

ON1 Raw opens this very dark and grainy, So does PS RAW see images below...

Adobe camera raw: Straight in no processing.
911462391_ScreenShot2019-08-12at16_20_28.thumb.png.b587d81246ed97cae9acde5ae014b76e.png

Adobe camera raw: Clicking Auto.
616414122_ScreenShot2019-08-12at16_20_44.thumb.png.87d8e9a227697f9cc77a5d04e5ab7570.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Pipit

I'm not sure what the problem is here.

The first screenshot below shows your RAW file open in the Develop persona of the latest Beta of AP, no changes made.

The second shows what I see if I press Develop and then apply a little Brightness and Contrast in the same version of AP.

Finally, when opened in Canon's own DPP4 (latest version, 3rd screenshot).  I honestly see very little difference between this and my first screenshot, perhaps a little darker.

Jeff

ScreenShot00582.jpg

ScreenShot00583.jpg

ScreenShot00584.jpg

You can't see difference in first and third pic on the sides? There's a huge amount of magenta there in AP but how come DPP4 doesn't have it?

29 minutes ago, Pipit said:

There's a huge amount of magenta there in AP

There’s a huge amount of magenta in your first APh pic, but not in Jeff’s.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There’s a huge amount of magenta in your first APh pic, but not in Jeff’s.

My only AP pic is processed through DPP4 to make it .TIFF and opened it in AP to make it .jpeg. It doesn't have magenta at all.

3 minutes ago, Pipit said:

My only AP pic is processed through DPP4 to make it .TIFF and opened it in AP to make it .jpeg. It doesn't have magenta at all.

I’m really confused now! When @Ron P. posted his result from opening and developing your CR2 file, you responded by saying

That's just what I mean. The pic is way more magenta than it should be.

So, as I said in my previous post, there’s a huge amount of magenta in your pic when you open it in APh (because you said so yourself) and there’s a huge amount of magenta when Ron opens it (as he showed us) but Jeff gets a different result.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I’m really confused now! When @Ron P. posted his result from opening and developing your CR2 file, you responded by saying

So, as I said in my previous post, there’s a huge amount of magenta in your pic when you open it in APh (because you said so yourself) and there’s a huge amount of magenta when Ron opens it (as he showed us) but Jeff gets a different result.

I didn't mean his DPP4 pic. I meant his AP Development persona pic. 

1 minute ago, Pipit said:

I didn't mean his DPP4 pic. I meant his AP Development persona pic. 

I meant the same — and I thought Ron did, too, which is why I’m so confused. Maybe I should just drop out of this discussion!

Alfred spacer.png

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Pipit :)

As you have mentioned the Canon 6D Mk2 is a compatible RAW format for Affinity Photo, as can be seen by our supported RAW list here - 

I have downloaded a sample RAW image from Photography Blog and opened this in Affinity Photo, then compared this to the sample JPEG of the same image -

image.png

As far as I can see, the images are visually similar (ignoring the post processing applied to the JPEG) and no magenta cast is apparent.

Your issue seems to be image specific, your RAW file is heavily underexposed and has been taken at the highest ISO point. You may be able to recover this image using the advice provided above, but no photo software can work miracles and certain tones (such as magenta) may be accentuated in this process - needing further image manipulation to reduce this.

Perhaps you could add a Curves adjustment to your image, set the channel to Red and drag the curve down to reduce the magenta tones.

I know it's high ISO because it's night golf competition with glowing golf balls. I do understand that no software can do miracles but how come DPP4 gets the right tones and AP has huge amount magenta?

@Pipit

I really don't want to prolong this thread because I think we are all going round in circles, but, reading again your earlier posts, it seems that the high level of magenta shows on your earlier screenshot because you took your original RAW into DPP4, exported it as .tiff, imported that into APh and that is when the magenta "appears".  I can't explain why this should be; perhaps there is a wrong setting somewhere in your monitor colour profile or the profile of the .tiff is being read wrongly.

As shown in my earlier screenshots, if I take your RAW direct into APh, Develop it (using default settings) and then apply a little Brightness and Contrast, I get the result posted in my second screenshot earlier.  Yes, there is some magenta colour-cast there, though considerably less than is shown in your screenshot, but others have suggested how you may attempt to reduce this.

Why don't you simply open your RAW directly in APh, so bypassing DPP4 completely, and see what results you achieve?  I actually used the latest Beta, which you can download to test from the Beta section of the forum, if you wish.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Hi @Pipit,

Then you probably missed my post and I was not clear enough! I needed to switch the white balance on in Affinity Photo and did a heavy correction of the tint to minus 35% to get rid of the magenta.

Affinity is recognizing your RAW images, but there is something wrong with the tint interpretation! In Capture One 12 it's te same low quality image but without the magenta artifact.  

Regards,

David

9 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Pipit

I really don't want to prolong this thread because I think we are all going round in circles, but, reading again your earlier posts, it seems that the high level of magenta shows on your earlier screenshot because you took your original RAW into DPP4, exported it as .tiff, imported that into APh and that is when the magenta "appears".  I can't explain why this should be; perhaps there is a wrong setting somewhere in your monitor colour profile or the profile of the .tiff is being read wrongly.

As shown in my earlier screenshots, if I take your RAW direct into APh, Develop it (using default settings) and then apply a little Brightness and Contrast, I get the result posted in my second screenshot earlier.  Yes, there is some magenta colour-cast there, though considerably less than is shown in your screenshot, but others have suggested how you may attempt to reduce this.

Why don't you simply open your RAW directly in APh, so bypassing DPP4 completely, and see what results you achieve?  I actually used the latest Beta, which you can download to test from the Beta section of the forum, if you wish.

Jeff

Ok did install the beta and here are the results (only converted to .jpeg and resized them 2048 pix). The other one is for comparison made .TIFF with DPP4 and made it in beta as same size.

IMG_7587_ap_beta.jpg

IMG_7587_ap_beta_tiff.jpg