You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create new Layer from selected layers

5 hours ago, andrewsimper said:

The point is to keep it vector but allow direct selection of each sub layer.

But creating a Group allows that. What benefit do you gain by making a layer out of them, instead?

Of course, if you want them in a layer, you can get that today by adding a layer (Layer > New Layer, or click the Add Layer icon at the bottom of the Layers panel) and then moving the other layers into it. Are you simply asking for a one-step operation that does that?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Layers and groups are different, please read this:

And no, adding a "new layer" is not an option as this will place it at the top of the layers view panel. Moving it back into place, and then manually dragging the previously selected layers onto it takes a lot of time for even an moderately complex set of layers.

3 hours ago, andrewsimper said:

Layers and groups are different,

Yes, they're different, but the only substantive difference that MEB discussed in that thread is that you need an extra click the first time you want to select something that's in the group. That seems like a very minor difference, to me.

You're right that New Layer adds the layer at the top of the stack. If you suddenly decide that you'd like some objects in the middle of the stack to be in a new layer, that's inconvenient. On the other hand, if you organize as you go along, when the objects are still at the top of the stack, it's easy. Or if you're organized enough to create the Layer before you create the objects, it's also trivial. Create the Layer layer, and any objects you then create are immediately created in that Layer. When you are done creating objects for that Layer, do another Add Layer, and create the next set of objects. Etc.

Nonetheless, yes, it would be convenient to be able to create the Layer at a later time, in the same way one can create a Group, especially for those times when one wasn't organized enough from the beginning :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff
3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, they're different, but the only substantive difference that MEB discussed in that thread is that you need an extra click the first time you want to select something that's in the group. That seems like a very minor difference, to me.

It does have more impact than it looks. In complex illustrations where you have groups nested inside other groups several levels deep in the layer stack, the double-clicking quickly becomes a chore and it's way less precise/prone to errors than layers where you can select all objects directly and still move them all as a "group" if needed selecting the respective layer from the Layers panel.

It's always also possible to use the cmd+click method to select objects directly on canvas, even if buried down inside several groups or layers.

42 minutes ago, MEB said:

In complex illustrations where you have groups nested inside other groups several levels deep in the layer stack

Maybe @fde101's suggestion of 'layer tags' would be worth a thought?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

What is exactly the difference? I think they behave exactly the same.

I mentioned what MEB said in the post that andrewsimper referenced: With a Group to select an object in the group you need to double-click on the canvas/artboard, vs a single-click if the object is not grouped.

In the post after mine MEB expanded on that answer.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...

+1! Would love to be able to add selected objects to a new layer or to switch from a layer to a group (+ vice versa). Also just want to add that I really love having both layers and groups as an option so thank you for that feature!

42 minutes ago, cleggwd said:

+ vice versa

Layer > Promote Group To Layer

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

4 minutes ago, prophet said:

Didn't know about that one. Why not make it available in Publisher too?

It is available in Publisher, if you switch to the Designer Persona.

-- Walt
PC:

And just found a potential bug.

New Designer file. made 2 objects, grouped, promoted to layer, tried to File > Edit in Publisher…get the "Failed to Launch…" message.

I can Save the Designer file and open it interdependently in Publisher, but there's something about a layer created in this fashion that prevents a smooth hand off.

2 minutes ago, prophet said:

And just found a potential bug.

New Designer file. made 2 objects, grouped, promoted to layer, tried to File > Edit in Publisher…get the "Failed to Launch…" message.

I can Save the Designer file and open it interdependently in Publisher, but there's something about a layer created in this fashion that prevents a smooth hand off.

I see the same thing. I suggest you post a bug topic for that.

I can't even Undo and get Edit in Publisher to work.

-- Walt
PC: