You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

So i'm new to this world but have gotten pretty decent for a beginner with Affinity Designer.

I have a project that I've finished and used mostly the pen tool but no matter how I export the file it comes out pixelated. 

I'm trying to print it at high resolution so I can make a magnet out of it but the pixelation is not ideal. Does anyone have any tips for exporting to a high res so the lines are not pixelated?

I've attached the file for reference. 

30th.afdesign

• Staff

Hi El_Kalbe,

What format are you currently exporting the design as? 

Do you get the pixelation after printing or is it pixelated after just exporting it to an image file?

I've just exported it as an SVG and everything appears fine to me (I've attached my export to this reply)

30th magnet test.svg

Could it be that it´s just because you choose a relatively low resolution?

I just increased the pixel *10 (so effectively *100) in the preferences and also scaled to whole vector image up.

Now I personally can´t figure out any pixelation anymore....

Somehow i can´t upload my JPG Export although it is just 1,5MB and crisp and sharp but you can just export it yourself ^^

Hi El_Kalbe,

What format are you currently exporting the design as? 

Do you get the pixelation after printing or is it pixelated after just exporting it to an image file?

I've just exported it as an SVG and everything appears fine to me (I've attached my export to this reply)

I've tried to export it with just about every option that is offered. I haven't changed any of the numbering for file size though.

The SVG you attached has pixelated the face so it seems to still cause that issue. 

Could it be that it´s just because you choose a relatively low resolution?

I just increased the pixel *10 (so effectively *100) in the preferences and also scaled to whole vector image up.

Now I personally can´t figure out any pixelation anymore....

Somehow i can´t upload my JPG Export although it is just 1,5MB and crisp and sharp but you can just export it yourself ^^

I looked at mimicking the thumbnail you attached but it seems thats what my original already was?

How do I increase the pixels and scale to a whole vector image?

I apologize for probably asking easy questions!!

Some of the Lightbulb curves use noise, which always causes rastering. Some of the Rocket curves use opacity (in the Layers tab), which causes rasterising if there is both a stroke and a fill. Which format are you exporting it in?

I've tried them all sadly...

Okay I made a video about 

1. increasing the resolution 

2. scaling up the image

Note:

cmd + a > select all layers before transforming them

press shift to constrain proportion 

press alt to scale from the middle (not necessary but useful) 

Hope this helps :)

and IMO you really did a good job with the drawing! 

The SVG you attached has pixelated the face so it seems to still cause that issue. 

The face uses a bitmap fill, so it is already rasterised. All you can do with the app store version is increase the resolution at which that happens.

With the current beta (available from elsewhere in this forum) there have been some export improvements, but in this case you need to be using EPS or SVG to see the benefit. In that case it can pass through the original bitmap untouched. (Unfortunately we can't yet import SVGs with bitmap fills, so it looks fine in, say, Safari, but the face goes missing if you reopen the SVG in Designer.) We'll be improving this, and PDF export, in due course.