You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to color adjust several layers in Designer?

Please see the attached image.

If you note the thumbnail on the lowest layer, there should be a column of yellow squares to the right in the picture.

However, the adjustment layer on top, that I've put a mask on, just fills this in with white, instead of as expected, become transparent outside of the masking area.

Is this a bug, and if not, what is the workaround here?

Screenshot 2019-08-11 at 12.19.24.png

EDIT: I just now noticed that there's a "crop" symbol on my mask layer. I have no idea where that comes from.

7 minutes ago, eobet said:

EDIT: I just now noticed that there's a "crop" symbol on my mask layer. I have no idea where that comes from.

Mask layers always show a ‘crop’ symbol. Masking is simply another name for cropping (just as nesting is another name for clipping).

It looks as though the the mask layer is hiding the right-hand third of the canvas. What happens if you disable (untick) it?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello eobet,
I think this is to do with your layer organisation.
It looks to me like you dropped the HSL Adjustment and the Rectangle clipping mask onto Layer5’s thumbnail by accident. Thus causing Layer5 to hide everything below it in the layer stack that’s outside of the area covered by the Rectangle.
Try dragging the HSL Adjustment thumbnail over where it actually says ‘Layer5’ and then let go.
Then drag the rectangle clipping mask over the HSL Adjustment’s thumbnail and let go.

My screenshot example bellow is how I think your layer stack should look like.
Dose it get you what you were after?

Screenshot 2019-08-11 at 13.02.27 B.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Mask layers always show a ‘crop’ symbol

There's only a crop symbol if you use a vector shape to mask part of some other layer.

Usual mask (and adjustement layers are masks) show the half-black - half-white circle: on those ones, you can paint in greyscale to show/hide parts.

20 hours ago, markw said:

Hello eobet,
I think this is to do with your layer organisation.
It looks to me like you dropped the HSL Adjustment and the Rectangle clipping mask onto Layer5’s thumbnail by accident. Thus causing Layer5 to hide everything below it in the layer stack that’s outside of the area covered by the Rectangle.
Try dragging the HSL Adjustment thumbnail over where it actually says ‘Layer5’ and then let go.
Then drag the rectangle clipping mask over the HSL Adjustment’s thumbnail and let go.

My screenshot example bellow is how I think your layer stack should look like.
Dose it get you what you were after?

Screenshot 2019-08-11 at 13.02.27 B.png

Thanks for the detailed explanation, but I can't for the life of me get the objects to stack the way it is in your picture.

Does the rectangle mask object need to be configured in a certain way in order to stack like this?

EDIT: If I drag the HSL adjustment OUT of the layer, and leave it just on its own, THEN I was able to drop the rectangle onto it.

This was way more difficult than it needed to be, imo. :(

Hello eobet,
Yes it can be a little fiddly at times!
The thing to watch for is the small pale highlight bar that shows in the layer stack as you move things around indicating where within another layer things will be dropped and thus how they will effect the host layer.
There are some useful Affinity tutorials showing this in both Photo and Designer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBl20YGZRTk&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4wrxF7oqec&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBUfbmmhBl4&feature=youtu.be

And here is a short recording of me rearranging my sample project based on your post:

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M