You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newbie question on marquee selection

Hey all. I have a question regarding something I've done in Pshop for years, but can't quite figure out how to do in Photo. 

In Pshop, I can make a marquee selection on a pixel layer, then press CTRL + ALT and drag the selection to make a copy of it and place it somewhere on the same layer. Is this possible in Photo?

7 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

Select the Move Tool (V) and drag out  (this will make a cut-out !!)

CTRL+J  to copy it on a new layer

working,  but only if the layer is unlocked or on a duplicated layer.;)

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

@chippwalters

Hey Chipp - nice to see you over here (assuming you are the CW I've seen on other forums) ;)

Been meaning to catch up with you over KO. How is that going?? - Well I hope.

Hope you find the Affinity products (remember they are only Version 1 at this point) as cool as we do. While they do take some effort - I think they are worth it.

Catch ya on the flipside!

Windows 10 Pro (Desktop). Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.9.2

On 8/11/2019 at 5:52 AM, HVDB Photography said:

Select the Move Tool (V) and drag out  (this will make a cut-out !!)

CTRL+J  to copy it on a new layer

Yes, but that uses a new layer. I'm trying to do all this on one layer-- and quickly. Prefer not to have to merge layers.

22 hours ago, Gradient_Phil said:

@chippwalters

Hey Chipp - nice to see you over here (assuming you are the CW I've seen on other forums) ;)

Been meaning to catch up with you over KO. How is that going?? - Well I hope.

Hope you find the Affinity products (remember they are only Version 1 at this point) as cool as we do. While they do take some effort - I think they are worth it.

Catch ya on the flipside!

Hi Phil! KIT OPS is going great. Just released a new update for Blender 2.8. :-)

Working hard to learn Photo as I really want to do away with Adobe. Created my first Photo video tute:

https://youtu.be/v6aZL9ihod8

On 8/13/2019 at 12:38 PM, chippwalters said:

Hi Phil! KIT OPS is going great. Just released a new update for Blender 2.8. :-)

Working hard to learn Photo as I really want to do away with Adobe. Created my first Photo video tute:

https://youtu.be/v6aZL9ihod8

@chippwalters  - Thanks for the video. Something else to add to my to-do list - make material tiles! :29_smirk:

Glad Kit Ops is going well for you. I've had a play with the free version. Scared me on how awesome it was :63_astonished:. I'll be along soon to get a copy.

Two weeks ago I finished Zacharias Reinhardt's (CG Boost Academy) Blender 2.8 Launchpad online beginner course (First online course ever). It was excellent. I learned a lot of the basics.

Trying to follow up that learning with more difficult stuff on the actual 3d modelling side - so I'm looking for my next course (most are still for 2.79). Want to get into some Moi sometime too.

I've been using the Affinity Apss for a couple of years. I think they're great - but always so much to learn. Looking forward to more tutorials.

2 hours ago, chippwalters said:

MoI3D is still as interesting as ever, but I've quit using it in favor of Blender 2.8 *unless* I'm creating a CAD model for 3D printing. Good luck!

Interesting comment.

I started learning Blender because someone on my scale modelling forum is using it for scale modelling projects and 3D printing - and its free. :D

So, are you saying (IYO) MoI3D is better to learn for 3D printing (something I'm trying to get into but I want to learn to model first), or stick with Blender. I find both MoI and Rhino easier to use than Blender - struggling with the everything is a flat line / panel thingee. That is, start making a round item with a cube. Seems wierd to me (counter-intuitive) - but I have more time in both Moi and Rhino (but currently own neither).

I'm a long time user of TurboCAD (2D only). While I've done some 3D modelling in it (and 3D learning), I wasn't sold on its coolness for that. I plan in the long term to take some paid courses for that as well. Miss the CAD type tools in Blender (especially some of the awesome snaps). I still draw a lot of make stuff in CAD - export to svg and import into Designer. I find that easier than using Designer's tools. Could be though that my 15+years in TurboCAD helps with me being comfortable with the tool set.

I have done several precision tutorials in Blender, so I know it can be done (with effort).

Apologies to the other posters here as I realise this is somewhat off topic.

The issue is that Blender is not a solids modeler-- IOW, it does not automatically create manifold objects. Blender, as a polygon based surface modeler, can be difficult at times to create a perfect solid model. And as you know, 3D printing can only use solid models. For me it's just faster to build  hard surface 3D printables in Moi3D. 

If you're creating characters or other non geometric models, a voxel modeler like 3D Coat would work well.