You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image categorization and search

Collaborating with a NPO organizing ballet courses and events, I find myself after some years dealing with serveal thousand of photos coming from different sources (professional photographers, amateurs photographers, smartphones, etc).

Needing to manage the creation of posters, refresh of the website, booklets and so I need to search for the best photos needed for the specific goal: i.e. single dancers full figure for the poster, groups with good light for the website.

This is becoming increasingly difficult, with the regret of missing great images just since I didn't have the time navigating thousand of them.

So was looking if there is any solution specialized for images categorization / tagging / labeling / whatever is need to later search them.

Better will be some automated feature based on image content (i.e. similar images, or extending a few examples I provide for categories) and not a manual creation, since the standard classification methodology (format, date, geotag etc) didn't make sense since most of them are not my images and for events there are thousand shot in 2 hours in the same place.

Affinity Photo, Publisher, Designer, PagePlus, ShaderMap Pro, Davinci Resolve, HitFilm Pro, Unreal, Unigine, 3ds Max, Maya Bifrost, Houdini, 3D-Coat.

Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

Looking at image organization or DAM solutions the most obvious are

Lightroom: does have the Senseai engine for automated categorization, but of course require the subscription that's a no deal for me

Capture One: a bit pricely and focused also on image editing,  not needed since I already own Affinity Photo

iMatch: interesting, lacking some automated categorization features

digiKam: interesting, also fully manual and not sure his compatibility with Windows

Darktable: also focused more on editing than categorization

I've seen also some cloud services such as Cloudinary, Clarifai or Imagga but we are back to the subscription model and these are mode development tools than for end users.

Some high level DAM such as Elvis does have out of the box the integration with Clarifai, Google Vision or AWS Rekognition services, but I suppose the license for such high end enterprise tool will be steep, and is needed to add the services pricing.

Didn't really find a solution, wanted to ask who has experience in using previous tools how big is the effort for using manual tagging.

Affinity Photo, Publisher, Designer, PagePlus, ShaderMap Pro, Davinci Resolve, HitFilm Pro, Unreal, Unigine, 3ds Max, Maya Bifrost, Houdini, 3D-Coat.

Windows 10 and 11 Pro.