You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create an image/layer with a transparent background?

All layers I can create are given a solid color - white by default, but I can chose other colors, EXCEPT when I select 'none' after right clicking on the layer in the layers tab, it stays white.

I want to create an image that has no background - for an example: a grid of black lines like a tic-tac-toe grid, that can be exported and used as a placed image elsewhere, perhaps as a .png image.

How can I do that?

Hi @wstewl,

What App are you using? In Photo there's no Layers right-click menu choice of None. If you are referring to Photo, when creating a new document just make sure you check the box beside Transparent Background. Or if you have already created your document, then go to the Document menu and select Transparent.

Just create your grid using a document with transparent background, export it as a png with transparency.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Sorry - I assumed this help was specifically for the Publisher. That's what I am working with. I now have noticed the Transparent Background checkbox in the the New Document creation window. So my problem has been solved. Thank you.

11 hours ago, wstewl said:

All layers I can create are given a solid color - white by default, but I can chose other colors, EXCEPT when I select 'none' after right clicking on the layer in the layers tab, it stays white.

That's because  Document > Transparent Background is unchecked !
The white you see is the white of the canvas ... If you add a  New Layer, it's by default transparent.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB