You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which Canon camera are you using?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

13 hours ago, grabe122788 said:

I would like to know how i get refund

If you purchased from the Mac App Store or the Microsoft Store you’re at the mercy of Apple or Microsoft, respectively. If you purchased from the Affinity Store there’s a 14-day money back guarantee.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I am using a Canon M50, a camera that was released February 2018, so it is not exactly a "new" camera and any new Canon cameras are going to use the Digic 8 processor or newer.  Failure to implement support for the cr3 raw format is just a good way to push people away from an otherwise interesting product.  This is just a perfect example of why the Adobe products stay on top, even though there business model is total garbage.  

29 minutes ago, grabe122788 said:

any new Canon cameras are going to use the Digic 8 processor or newer. 

It's not the camera's processor that's the issue - it's the file format itself.  It's not specifically a Serif issue either - it's affecting everyone who uses LibRaw as part of their product.  If you look on the LibRaw forums you'll find discussions about why CR3 is so hard to handle, not that that helps :(.  Sadly, there's no eta for a fix, and there's no explicit mention of CR3 being supported in the autumn update, though it's sort of intimated.  fwiw, I've used the Adobe DNG converter with a few sample CR3 files and it looked good to me.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

The LibRaw 201903 snapshot supported camera list doesn’t include the Canon M50, so it looks as though its inclusion is quite a long way off. Probably the best way forward is to use Canon’s own DPP, or the Adobe DNG Converter.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I had a quick look/read on Libraw about Canon's new CR3 file format. No wonder it seems like it's taking a long time for Serif's Apps to accept it. When these camera manufacturers make such drastic changes, it takes a lot of time and effort to decode those changes so they can be used. Canon has been using the CR2 Raw file format for years. When a new model was released but still used the CR2 Raw file, there were small changes made so was easier for all these apps to catch up. Not so with the CR3.

I've read posts on other web boards, people posting just a few weeks after a new model was released having small changes to the Raw file format, why it's not already supported and when it was going to be supported. To start with I think that Canon would rather their proprietary software DPP, would be the only software used by consumers of their cameras. They provide it free to those that own their cameras. Do you think Canon might drag their proverbial feet on releasing any information on the newer Raw File format? Perhaps they do.

I shoot Canon cameras, and do have a copy of DPP, but just don't use it much at all. Even though it really makes more since to at least convert the Raw files with it, since DPP is written by the same company making the cameras. It should provide the best ability to gain the best results from the Raw files they wrote. For styling, and cut-outs, artistic uses, well use other apps like Serif's. You'll have a much better developed file to bring into AP or whatever app you choose. I think Canon has come along way with their DPP app too.

So anyway if Serif or any other editing app does not support your Raw file yet, and you have tools like DPP available, I don't see why anyone would think Serif is the cause for slowing them or stopping them. Which this reminds me of a mechanic years ago, when car manufacturers started making front-wheel drive cars. I referred to the engines that had to be used as side-way engines. They were a pain to work on. The mechanic told me, working at a dealership mind you, they had to order a special tool just to do one small function, because common standard tools would not fit. His solution, he already had a tool, just needed a little modification. The cost of the special order tool was outrageous, his cost for his mod $0.00 He was not willing to tell his customers the had to wait on this special tool to fix their cars.

@grabe122788,

For an answer to your second question concerning refunds. Here's a quote from Serif's On-line Help and Support

Returns and Refunds

What is your returns policy?

We want you to be 100% satisfied with your Affinity purchase. If you are not satisfied with your product for any reason, you may return it within a 14 day period after receipt of your product to receive a full refund. Please email affinityreturns@serif.com with your name, order number and reason for returning the item to begin the process. If you are returning a physical item a returns label will be emailed to you for printing. If you do not have access to a printer, a physical label can be despatched to you upon request. After receipt of the return at Serif, a refund will be authorised within 2-3 days.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

23 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Do you think Canon might drag their proverbial feet on releasing any information on the newer Raw File format?

From what I've read the data are encrypted!!  If that's true it's interesting that Adobe were able to support it so quickly.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

2 minutes ago, IanSG said:

From what I've read the data are encrypted!!  If that's true it's interesting that Adobe were able to support it so quickly.

Yes, I agree. How does that happen? A little insider leak?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 8/11/2019 at 7:08 AM, Ron P. said:

since DPP is written by the same company making the cameras. It should provide the best ability to gain the best results from the Raw files they wrote

I am much like you but I feel that the Canon software does not keep pace with the various computer OSes as well/quickly as companies like Serif, Adobe etc.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It looks like there may be some patents involved with the compression this format uses?

https://github.com/lclevy/canon_cr3

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1586395/1

Nevertheless, it looks like libraw intends to support CR3 sometime in the fall: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360048005532-v3-1-2-again-still-no-CR3-support-

Canon also offers developer SDKs and APIs for their camera RAW formats, pretty much the same as do other camera vendors here. — Though open source software based RAW Converters commonly do rely more on free available source code and thus tend to use other vendor independent file format code implementations. So things like libraw, dcraw etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

It's not really fair to compare photoshop to affinity when photoshop is like $120 per year? That said, I think it would be interesting to see if anyone would pay extra for affinity devs to work on early CR3 support. The rest of us who don't use canon cameras can get it when libraw adds it.