You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Workbook exercise for divide bug in 1.7.1?

I'm working thru the Designer workbook in 1.7.1 on my Mac, and when I try the ice cream cone geometry boolean exercise, I'm seeing something strange with the divide exercise. It took me a while to figure out the illustration was only after they had (unwritten) manually repositioned the major pieces to show it. However, when I do the divide with the 4 large original shapes I get a total of 58 curves including 48 tiny sliver slices in addition to the major resulting pieces. That can't be the way the divide tool should work should it?

Erich

Hello ELinder,
Er, no that’s not supposed to happen.:$
Although too thin to see normally if you switch to Outline View mode those tiny leftover slivers become visible.
But why it happens escapes me too.O.o

Screenshot 2019-08-11 at 01.28.26.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

I did some more testing, and it's definitely something to do with curves. Straight geometry no matter how complex works as expected. Zooming very close to the artifacts in many cases there is curve faceting visible, as if the curve is not actually smooth and is being drawn differently depending on which shapes are being operated on, resulting in a slightly different curve shapes and then leaving the differences as the leftover artifacts.

Erich