You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Margin and bleed not working for artboards and two other problems

Arjo

Affinity Designer Version 1.7.1.1

iPad Pro 12,9 inch first generation, iOS 12.3.1

I added screen recordings for clarity. 

Problem 1: Margin and bleed not working for artboards

Margins and bleed work perfect for documents that do not use artboards, but when I convert it to an artboard using "Insert Artboard" it stops working. Same goes for creating a document and enabling the option "Create Artboard". Bleed still shows, but changing the values for Left, Right, Top or Bottom doesn't change the bleed. When opening the menu again the values are back to what they were before using "Insert Artboard". Margins also don't work, it goes back to Left 0.0 Right 0.0 Top 0.0 and Bottom 0.0. Trying to change this makes it immediately jump back to 0.0.

Problem 2: "Check Spelling While Typing" option is always on when loading any document

Problem 3: Limited selection of presets for inserting artboards in an open document

It looks like the artboard presets of the category "Device". However, the bottom four options are also missing: Kindle Fire HD 7, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Galaxy S5 and Surface Pro 2. There is an option missing for selecting the category like when creating a new document. It seems that this simply has been overlooked. 

• Staff

Hi Arjo,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

Problems 1 and 2 are known issues that are with development to be fixed, I'll get it bumped with them.

Problem 3 isn't a bug as such, it was never designed to show all Page and Category presets. Instead we've kept to mobile devices as Artboards are primarily used for designing UX/UI designs, so felt that they were only necessary. However feel free to post in feature requests if you would like to see these options expanded. 

• 7 months later...

I'm still having issues with problem 1. Is it still a known issue that hasn't been fixed? I'm mostly asking since this was approx 6 months ago.

Similarly, I was also having the issue selecting guides that I added with the guide tool. I can "Insert Vertical Guide", but if I tap to select it, I can't, so I therefore can't delete the guide I just created without hitting undo. Horizontal guides seem fine though.

On 3/12/2020 at 4:37 PM, Team_Hufflepuff said:

I'm still having issues with problem 1.

Same here. I can't make the bleed visible for ArtBoards. v1.8.1

Maybe better to open it in Publisher. I can't tell you how much I love it that this is even possible.

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2019 at 2:26 AM, Arjo said:

Problem 1: Margin and bleed not working for artboards

I have also run into this issue a couple times even this week, so bumping again. :/

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2019 at 1:10 PM, Sean P said:

Artboards are primarily used for designing UX/UI designs

Hi Sean,

I use Artboards for generating multi-page documents (1-100 pages) which are not UX designs. Concretely they are origami designs. Sometimes for the web or e-books, sometimes for print. 

My computer is an iPad Pro 12.9, and while we hopefully wait for Publisher on iPad, artboards in Designer seems like the goto-solution for this task.

So Serif may have designed artboards for UX designs, but they are naturally used for other tasks as well.

By the way, I also have the problem that margins cannot be changed for artboards. Margins are in the context menu, but when trying to change the numbers they jump right back to zero.

Best regards,
    Hans

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Amr yo

The issues listed in this old report all seem to still be true, and not addressed in an update. So I am unclear what you think was working before you updated/upgraded. Perhaps you have a new problem that was working in 1.8.4 and is now a bug in 1.9.1. Can you explain (preferably without swearing) which of the problems you are saying has got worse in this update

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...

Margin issue with artboards still not working. Bumping...

Trying to create columns that include an outer border using guides. I assume margins is what I need to set for this to work.

Edited by sonarc

• Staff

@sonarc

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

I would appreciate if you could make a new thread which describes your problem in more detail, and a document or drawing may help too

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi, 

I'm using Affinity designer on my iMac desktop. Have used artboards as I wanted to export multiple pdf files approx 340 of them as opposed to manually doing everything like I did last time. So have done up approx 340 artboards but now that I've come to export them it is not exporting them with bleed, even though I have ticked the bleed box. Is this the same issue as here? I might start swearing if I've now not only got to export each manually but also first save to a separate file before doing so. 465192426_Screenshot2021-04-05at19_48_57.png.262c3aebefb87f48d276cd9dd6492854.png 

• 4 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 4:52 AM, MoonfacedBaboon said:

Is this the same issue as here? I

No. On iPad it is not possible to set bleed however if you create a document and set bleed, then add an artboard you get bleed ok. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...