You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lens Correction built-in profile not recognised (DJI Mavic 2)

When importing DNG RAW files from a DJI Mavic Drone, Affinity does not recognize the built- in lens profile for lens correction. The profile is there, Lightroom and other programs recognize and use it to correct distortion. The drone is the very well known Mavic 2, the profile name is DJI FC2204

I don't think that the Serif Labs Raw Engine recognizes any embedded lens profiles, yet. It only uses profies from the lensfun database, as far as I know.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I second that this lens needs to be prioritized quite high. It's been on the market for 15 months.... I would like to be able to tell other drone pilots they don't need to fork over monthly to Adobe but when the market leader drone in the prosumer market isn't supported 15 months after launch, then how do you guys expect that to happen?

please....

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

cdw86 - As of April 30th 2020: I have still yet to find a solution to the lens distortion captured by the FC2204 in RAW. There is nothing in the LensFun database for the Mavic 2 Zoom camera and as far as I am aware: there is nothing in Adobe's LCP catalogue either. Surprising really as photo's taken in JPG format clearly have lens correction applied to them before being  shunted to SD card - so an LCP obviously does exist and is used by the hardware. This is a GAPING ball-drop by the manufacturers in particular who should have all the details concerning lens characteristics to hand - they just continue to bury their heads in the sand and ignore requests for the information. Typical of DJI, I'm afraid: who like most manufacturers lose all interest in their customers once they have managed to get the money out of their bank accounts.

40 minutes ago, Felix Le Chat said:

cdw86 - As of April 30th 2020: I have still yet to find a solution to the lens distortion captured by the FC2204 in RAW. There is nothing in the LensFun database for the Mavic 2 Zoom camera and as far as I am aware: there is nothing in Adobe's LCP catalogue either. Surprising really as photo's taken in JPG format clearly have lens correction applied to them before being  shunted to SD card - so an LCP obviously does exist and is used by the hardware. This is a GAPING ball-drop by the manufacturers in particular who should have all the details concerning lens characteristics to hand - they just continue to bury their heads in the sand and ignore requests for the information. Typical of DJI, I'm afraid: who like most manufacturers lose all interest in their customers once they have managed to get the money out of their bank accounts.

At Serif they shouldn't need to introduce a specific profile, they just would have to address properly the built-in profiles... 

On 8/12/2019 at 5:51 AM, MEB said:

Hi galileo,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We do support the DJI Mavic Pro but not the DJI Mavic 2 yet, sorry. We are constantly adding support for new cameras/lenses so there's hope it will be supported in an upcoming Photo build/update. Bear with us.

@MEB - any movement on this yet? it has been 8 months since your reply...

Thanks

David

• 3 months later...

Dear all,

I have made a lens profile myself for DNG files of Mavic Air (1), using a milky white filter for vignetting, and pictures of buildings and parkings (from above) to correct lens distortions with Hugin (https://wilson.bronger.org/lens_calibration_tutorial/). It is a lot of work, but it resulted in a lens profile that is good to compensate lens distortion. It has been uploaded to the lensfun database and both Darktable and RawTherapee use it. It is a bit of work, but everyone can do it.

HOWEVER, the camera also produces a faint pinkish-yellowish spot in the middle, which is especially annoying in panoramas. That spot cannot be compensated in the lensfun database (at least I do not know how). It can be compensated, but unfortunately requires slight post-processing in Darktable/RawTherapee: Mavic Air photos are 4056x3040 pixels. One needs to draw a circular mask for colour correction in the middle ~2600 pixels large, smoothed edges (at least 700 pixels), filled with colour, in Darktherapee slightly towards blue/green blue. Save as TIF.

Adobe programmes do however use the embedded profile in DNG. The correction cannot be influenced by the user, but it corrects all above issues well, including the coloured spot. I truly hope that someone can develop a function that can apply a DNG embedded profile for the open source programmes. It should be possible, because DNG is an open format. Then all DJI DNG files would immediately be corrected, including upcoming ones.

Edited by Hate2register4oneReplyOnly
added link

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, MEB said:

Hi galileo,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We do support the DJI Mavic Pro but not the DJI Mavic 2 yet, sorry. We are constantly adding support for new cameras/lenses so there's hope it will be supported in an upcoming Photo build/update. Bear with us.

Do we have any news from Serif on this important issue? DJI Drones are common and embeed profiles are now pretty much an industry standard

• 3 months later...

Hi people, 

I have stumbled upon this thread since I was hoping that Affinity Photo (develop) could read the baked in lens profile DJI (and other manufacturers) is providing in the EXIF data 
(field OpcodeList3 from what I have read) and that will make working with DNG files much more easy!

Is it likely that AF will incorporate this in their develop tool?
Otherwise I will have to find a raw converter that does, but I'd rather do it all in one program!

Thanks in advance!

• Staff

Hi @galileo, @Montfrooij, @Woodcreeper, @Hate2register4oneReplyOnly,
Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Regarding the subject of this thread, we already took a look at supporting embedded lens profiles some time ago however without manufacturer's assistance (which we will hardly get) it's difficult to implement it properly, so for now we will have to rely on LensFun database/data, sorry.

According to this
https://www.dji.com/uk/mavic-2/info

the Mavic 2 uses the L1D-20c camera.

Photo Develop shows "Hasselblad L1D-20c & compatibles" as a lens choice

Or for automatic lens recogntion there should be enough info here
https://github.com/lensfun/lensfun/blob/master/data/db/actioncams.xml
to build a specific file to go into the LensProfiles folder

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Ok, an early Christmas present from Яuislip

The attached file will apply the Hasselblad L1D-20c lens profile, sort of. The Lensfun data has a crop factor of 2.8 whereas exif data shows 2.7 so I have used 2.7. I suggest you use it then change the profile to Hasselblad L1D-20c & compatibles and see which you prefer, modify the xml as desired

OpenProfilesFolder.png

Mavic2.xml

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2020 at 12:22 PM, MEB said:

Hi @galileo, @Montfrooij, @Woodcreeper, @Hate2register4oneReplyOnly,
Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Regarding the subject of this thread, we already took a look at supporting embedded lens profiles some time ago however without manufacturer's assistance (which we will hardly get) it's difficult to implement it properly, so for now we will have to rely on LensFun database/data, sorry.

No problem. 
I'm rather late to the party too. 
I am not expert on this matter, but for me (as a non expert) it seemed simple to use the data in the file. 

I totally understand I am oblivious of what lies beneath the data provided :) 
Just hope you can get it working somehow, since it would make my life a lot more easy!

• 2 years later...
On 12/17/2020 at 10:41 PM, David in Яuislip said:

According to this
https://www.dji.com/uk/mavic-2/info

the Mavic 2 uses the L1D-20c camera.

Photo Develop shows "Hasselblad L1D-20c & compatibles" as a lens choice

Or for automatic lens recogntion there should be enough info here
https://github.com/lensfun/lensfun/blob/master/data/db/actioncams.xml
to build a specific file to go into the LensProfiles folder

Great info -  using this with a Autel Evo Pro 2 6k DNG file they all seem to have a Sony IMX383 image sensor so a little tweaking for personal preference/ lenses and job done.
A side benefit when naming the file Autel is it now comes near the top of the list - no more scrolling
Many thanks