You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

feature or bug in Master Pages?

Hello,

Im designing a little booklet and i encountered an issue:

One left page is moved to right... but design applied from master page didn't changed... Is this normal?

I have a little different design for left pages and for right pages.

I expected the elements auto change when page 2 become page 3 and auto change the pages below :D
I'm using Mac version 1.7.1

Thanks in advance.

Best regards!!

You are right about that. I made a simple test file (attached) with a header that says "Left Page" on the left and "Right Page" on the right. Delete, for example, Page 2 from the Pages Studio, and then the rest of the pages after that are now backwards.

I am not sure this is a bug, but I do think this should be reconsidered.

I had some headache with something that I think is related just yesterday, and I spent nearly 30 minutes trying to figure it out. With editing and formatting changes, the end of my chapter was now on the previous page from where it was previously, which was a page on the right. Because of the change, I wanted to the page (which was now the last page in the chapter) from using the "Inner Pages" master to the "End of Chapter" master. There was no simple way to just swap masters because a page can have more than one master. No option I tried would allow the text to flow onto that page. I also had reassign the text frame flow to include the page where I had changed the master. Only, when I did that, the text thread flow showed it was included, but no text was visible. After a lot of messing around, I discovered that even though I had deleted masters from the right page, the layers panel showed it was still still there because of the left page. I had to also remove the master from the left page and then reassign the original master to just the left page, fix the thread flow, and then it finally did what I wanted it to.

That is really hard to describe. I may need to try to make a video if anyone doesn't understand what I am saying and wants to see it.

Thankfully it was the end of the day, because I went home frustrated and discouraged. I don't think the master page functionality is ready to cope with repagination issues.

master_page_test.afpub

thank you very much for your words and your explanation. 
This issue/bug/feature was turning me crazy :D

I think repagination is a very important option in a creation workflow... 

We need to trust that a repaginación will not spoil the publication. Verifying an extensive publication is practically impossible.

Your demo file is a clear demonstration about the issue.

Thanks for your contribution :)

Best regards

On 8/9/2019 at 9:08 PM, garrettm30 said:

Only, when I did that, the text thread flow showed it was included, but no text was visible. After a lot of messing around, I discovered that even though I had deleted masters from the right page, the layers panel showed it was still still there because of the left page. I had to also remove the master from the left page and then reassign the original master to just the left page, fix the thread flow, and then it finally did what I wanted it to.

I had/have the same problem.

And using different Master pages on pages or on other Master pages doesn't help: we need to clean the page, reassign Master page, and since APub doesn't display the text in the text frame from one of those master pages, sometimes redraw a new text frame at the top of the page, or search to unlock the text frame (but the text doesn't appear each time)...