You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Better link or embedd a lot of picture files?

Hey there

what is the better alternative handling a lot of photos in Publisher at the moment?

I do a photo yearbook for my daughter with probably a few hundred photos (I dont know exactly yet how much it will be).
I am not through with it yet (doing November at the moment) and I see that when you open the document, Publisher needs a lot of time to open all the pages (e.g. load the linked photos)
In the meantime the PC reacts sluggish for minutes.

When all is loaded there is no performance problem anymore, but during loading the document there is no working possible

I wonder though, if it would be better if I embedd the photos instead of linking them... any suggestions to that?
Thanks

It's a trade off. Small file size with linked files and it takes time to open or embed them and it may take a few seconds to open but there it is.

You MIGHT try doing a save as and then changing the links to embedded. Then load it and see what you have gained

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

20 minutes ago, Rick G said:

It's a trade off. Small file size with linked files and it takes time to open or embed them and it may take a few seconds to open but there it is.

You MIGHT try doing a save as and then changing the links to embedded. Then load it and see what you have gained

there you have a point I not thought about.

I'll try that, and make a copy before doing so

thanks

1 hour ago, Pixelkobold said:

...When all is loaded there is no performance problem anymore, but during loading the document there is no working possible

17 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Serif should asymmetrically load ("lazy load") images. It would speed up overall load times.

Under the current manner of loading a document, I would still leave them linked myself.

Not sure what the total size of all the images are but embedding them may also make the APub document sluggish and extremely large.

If that is the case you may want to consider making a copy of all the finalised images so far, then replace them with low-resolution versions to use as placeholders until you are finalising the document then just copy back the original images.

By using the same file names and folder for the low-res images changing over should be easy

There are many free programs that provide a quick and easy way to batch generate the low-res versions of your existing files if you don't currently have one.

Similarly, if you (temporarily) just move the finalised images to a new folder, APub will automatically generate low-res versions but you may get fed up with all the "missing images" warning messages.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

Not sure what the total size of all the images are but embedding them may also make the APub document sluggish and extremely large.

If that is the case you may want to consider making a copy of all the finalised images so far, then replace them with low-resolution versions to use as placeholders until you are finalising the document then just copy back the original images.

By using the same file names and folder for the low-res images changing over should be easy

There are many free programs that provide a quick and easy way to batch generate the low-res versions of your existing files if you don't currently have one.

Similarly, if you (temporarily) just move the finalised images to a new folder, APub will automatically generate low-res versions but you may get fed up with all the "missing images" warning messages.

yes that would be a good work around. I use JPEGMini, which is awesome for such jobs. I give it a try

Anyway, as soon all the pages are completely loaded (which takes a few minutes when you have linked photos), the publisher runs smooth.

I used to use InDesign with photobook projects similar to this in count of pictures, and never good such issues when loading a document. (though I realize Publisher is in its first version while ID is in v14 or sth like this.)
so probably this could be a posting for the bug or request area?

I don't see a point in linking. I'd like all images of a design in the file. You move the file, you won't get all your images unlinked.

Maybe if you created a huge number of documents, 100's and they all stay on your computer, linking would be a good idea.

Even with software that has much larger file sizes, like Final Cut Pro X, where you can get libraries going over 100GB, embedding is better. 

In Affinity, I always embed. Just working on a 60+ page document. 

Not the slightest bit sluggish, as long as you are using JPEGs. 

Linking (and changing the files externally by other editors  when needed, so they update automatically in many documents where they are linked) is an amazing neck saver for things like card/board games, and many types of large and complex projects. Specially useful when you need an update to replicate to all documents. IMO, embedding has its advantages, linking has its own ones. I would need them both.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ArtKelz said:

How are you building your yearbook?  flowing in text and photos or building every entry manually?

err... I don't know exactly what you want to know.
I usually put up picture frames, arrange them and then fill them with photos.
If I need text I put a textframe there and fill it

anyway, 
after finishing my first yearbook in APub, I see in both ways (embedding and linking) some advantages.
I think its just a personal thing which way you use photos and so on